Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Alaska drive in hunt >

Alaska drive in hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Alaska drive in hunt

Old 08-16-2019, 06:06 AM
Banned

Default Alaska drive in hunt

Going to be retired in a few days and planning hunting trips. Got the first couple years covered, but was wondering if it’s possible to drive to Alaska and moose hunt?
Time won’t be an issue more of a logistic question. Is there a unit with decent odds that we can camp in a village and moose hunt from?
I’m open to any ideas or input.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure you can drive there and find a place to hunt, have to go thru Canada to do so, so taking a hand gun will be a issue
by pass this by doing some work, find a good gun dealer willing to work with you and ship any hand guns to them in advance(long gun too if you like) and pick up there
saves a lot of hassle at border IMO

just remember to check all rules on every place you drive thru when carrying weapons and or even bear spray!
some places have silly rules even states in the USA

but many many people drive from USA to AK every yr, should be a TON of youtuber's that video there journey's doing so too, for tips and maybe some key places to stop and things to see and do along the way!

NOT sure if you care to look, but this is a very family friendly youtube series on traveling from USA to Canada thru canade into AK
nothing about hunting, but does show you some highlights on traveling there from the USA
the series has a LOT of great scenery and info, you can go back father to see more, but here is about where they enter into canada
around episode 25 or so, and runs to episode 42 or so till end, very nicely done series IMO
person that did it, also covers a lot of Q&A"s in a few other videos along the way, and gather he could be contacted if you had any special questions, I KNOW He traveled with a shotgun and bear spray the whole trip!
but here is a link to starting at Canada crossing!

Old 08-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

When I went to Newfoundland a couple years ago on a moose hunt I called I think the Canadian Border patrol and they told me the form I had to fill out for my weapon and NOT to sign it until I arrived at the border. I had absolutely no problem getting across the border and back.
One thing you may want to look in to is I believe you can only hunt big game with a licensed guide or resident relative.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
When I went to Newfoundland a couple years ago on a moose hunt I called I think the Canadian Border patrol and they told me the form I had to fill out for my weapon and NOT to sign it until I arrived at the border. I had absolutely no problem getting across the border and back.
One thing you may want to look in to is I believe you can only hunt big game with a licensed guide or resident relative.
pretty sure the form your talking about has to be signed in person that's why they told you not to sign in advance
and crossing the border can vary at where you cross,(I have crossed into Canada at many location over the yrs) and who is working the border, some folks dis like hunters more than others, and there are different rules on HOW a rifle/shotgun must be carried in different area's as well
and again, I DON"T think you can bring a handgun into Canada as a USA citizen!
and heads up, NOT that you have one, but a DUI can make you NOT allowed into Canada, you'd have to get a Canadian pardon thru a pardon service!
just adding this a I have known a few that found out the hard way and lost a bunch of cash on hunts paid for in advance!

even one of our ex president's had to get a pardon to enter! LOL

and YES in AK< there are some species and area's that require a licensed guide to tag along on hunts!
Old 08-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good points Mrbb. I guess I was really lucky to cross in ME late at night.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Good points Mrbb. I guess I was really lucky to cross in ME late at night.
Sorry to OP, but I will share a short story here on one of my last crossings
was a vacation trip m=not a hunting one and NO firearms involved, but I crossed into Canada problem free!, was there a week or so, and on way home I hit a major sleet ice storm, entire truck was coated with a 1/4 inch or more of ice and just keeping the windshield clear was a challenge.
when I got to the border, the USA side, did there regular basic Q$A< but apparently the one agent didn;t like the fact we were hunters and claimed to NOT have any guns(was late nov)
we(me and a friend with me) had Camo on!
so, they decided to pull us off and made me park truck in a HEATED garage
and proceeded to search the whole truck, removing everything from the inside, had a drug dog in the truck and such !
We didn;t really care as we had time to kill, and heck, them doing this also de iced the whole truck for use, as they even had to use water to melt the ice to open things, as ice layer on truck was so thick LOL
we laughed at the deal, to be honest! as we kenw we did,had nothing wrong to worry about!!

And honestly they did us a favor DE icing us
BUT, I have crossed this same border location a few dozen times without ever a pause!
they never found anything wrong and again away we went, but I still say it can happen, based on the folks working that day and what they FEEL about things!

I am NOT the type of person to cause issue's here, I normally get along with law enforcement and like folks VERY well, worked with thousands of them, so have respect for most of them! and even these I didn't find BAD< just one had a issue with Hunters it seemed and happened to be in charge, and this again was entering the USA , my own country! not the Canadian side of things!

NOT sure what would have happened had we been hunting and had animals and or firearms with us< Might have got stripped searched LOL

but just shows that some times even when all is GOOD things can turn into a bigger deal at border crossings!

and again, I have entered Canada countless times on snowmobiles as well as cars and trucks over the yrs problem free!