Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did He spook?? >

Why did He spook??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did He spook??

Old 11-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Why did He spook??

Was hunting Sat. Morning and rattled in a real nice buck...He was 50yds. out in some brush and I used my Primo Deer Estrus bleet Can...Flipped it over twice and the buck spooked and ran...I' m sure he didn' t smell me cause he came in like he was looking for a fight and he never raised his head to sniff...just looking around...

So why did he spook??? Was he not in rut yet or what??

This is in IL..
Old 11-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why did He spook??

he could have seen you. it seems like they know when something isn' t right
Old 11-04-2003, 02:08 PM

Probably saw you. I got spooked by a doe 50 yards out last year. All I did was move my hand a little. I don' t think I had a glove on, pretty sure I didn' t. Still suprised me. I was 20 feet up in good cover.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

It could be the fact that you rattled him in and he did not see another deer> It is alot of fun to rattle and call deer in but they do come in expecting to find what made the noise. The buck in question may have caught you scent or some movement, its hard to say.

Did you have any scent out? This seems to help put them at ease sometimes.

Everyone will have their own opinion but when I rattle a buck in and he gets close I stop rattling and will not use a call. When he gets this close I rely on the scent I put out to get him in position for a shot.

Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:43 PM

Did you turn the can over when he was looking in your direction? If a deer is looking in the direction that a noise comes from they can determine where it came from within about three feet. And, if you were 20 feet up in the tree the buck no doubt figured out you were a hunter without ever seeing you.

Another problem could be that this deer has been educated to the can call already. Once he determined that there were no deer he turned tail and hit the road. That' s part of the problem, we as hunters don' t know the smart deer from the dumb ones.[&:]
Old 11-04-2003, 04:40 PM

I' ve tried my Primos can on several of the 4 & 6 pointers as they were walking by at a distance. Only one deer stopped as if he heard something, but all of them have just kept on walking as if they didn' t hear a thing. Funny thing though, when I make the same type of sound with my voice they do stop and look then continue walking. I' m not trying to call them in with it, only trying to see if it gets their attention. Oh well.....
Old 11-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never can tell,Seen a Ghost???
Old 11-04-2003, 07:01 PM

As many have already stated, using calls can work and they can also spook deer. More than likely, he ran into investigate who was making the noise and didn' t see what he knew should have been there (another deer), didn' t and vacated the area.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:40 PM

Tried my can call today for the first time and had an unseen deer in the distance blow at me a few times before running off. Never saw the deer, it was in thick cover....
Old 11-04-2003, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

Are decoys legal in your state?

Quick Reply: Why did He spook??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.