Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Thinking of having my own broadheads made >

Thinking of having my own broadheads made

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking of having my own broadheads made

Old 04-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

All I'm saying from the start is there is really no need for a 175 gr BH unless your plan on taking on cape buffalo or elephant. Which reminds me. My 420 gr arrow which included a 100 gr BH (Magnus Stinger) completely passed through both bison I shot. The last one, a huge bull, after the hit turned a complete 360 and went 15 maybe 20 yards before going down. Use whatever you decide. But my opinion is that much weight is not needed.
And for the average Joe who doesn't have the cash flow to always buy new arrows has, as an example is shooting 60# and a 28" shaft (say gold tip) shooting a 100 gr head the chart recommendation is for a 400 spine. ( IMO a 340 would be better). Now if he should put a 175 gr head on there which the chart doesn't even show he would have to lower his poundage down as far as the bow could go because the chart recommends a draw wt in the mid to high 40s.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-29-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
All I'm saying from the start is there is really no need for a 175 gr BH unless your plan on taking on cape buffalo or elephant.
For them Id use perhaps an 800 / 900 grain arrow/broadhead combo. For my Water buff last year I used a 700 grain total arrow weight with a 250 grain broadhead (and I even pinned the arrow right) Its was a dual wall aluminum a 2317 with a 2117 inside of it. I talked to the guide about bowhunting gear for water buff and asked if its possible to get a pass through. He laughed and said it wont happen. He has never seen an arrow come out the other side of a water buff due to the rib size and overlapping nature and because they are so wide across the chest.

I got a pass through even with me hitting a rib. Momentum rules. KE was of no value. I was properly setup in advance.

This is the exit shoulder. You don't go through the ribs and exit the shoulder on this sized animal with 450 grain dart.

The entrance side shoulder. LOL at considering a 450 grain arrow.

Use whatever you decide. But my opinion is that much weight is not needed.
No animal was ever lost because the arrow got too much penetration. Many are lost due to a lack thereof.

And for the average Joe who doesn't have the cash flow to always buy new arrows has, as an example is shooting 60# and a 28" shaft (say gold tip) shooting a 100 gr head the chart recommendation is for a 400 spine. ( IMO a 340 would be better). Now if he should put a 175 gr head on there which the chart doesn't even show he would have to lower his poundage down as far as the bow could go because the chart recommends a draw wt in the mid to high 40s.
I laughed. I have arrows and broad heads that make up a 450 grain setup, arrows and broadheads for a 560 gain setup, Arrows and broadheads for a 700 grain setup. Dovetail sights for each setup all out of the same bow and off the same rest.

The arrow I used for my Gator a few months ago was just over 1,400 grains. I took a shot at a gator larger than this one from a distance of 12 feet. I was slightly above him. I bounced off because I hit a scute on his back.. even when I got this guy I only got about 10 inches of penetration.

If I were so unfortunate to only hunt small game like deer and black bear, I would just have a 560 grain TAW setup out of my 65 pound bow with a 4 blade head.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-29-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

550 lb red stag I took last year at 41 yards using a 700 grain arrow package. Total pass through and the arrow went an additional 30 feet and still was buried deep in the dirt. He didn't know what happen. He went 30 yards and then stopped and stood and looked back wondering what happened. Then slipped into the black.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-29-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

700 grain total arrow package on a 318 pound Eurasian boar last year. Through the shield and the arrow his the rock ground 10 yards past him . 2 inch thick shields.

Could not even bend the shields while skinning.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

45 yard shot on a feral bull I killed in Hawaii up on the mountain on the big island. 45 yard set center punching a rib with a 700 grain arrow package.

Right through the center of a rib. A 450 grain arrow would have been useless. Not enough momentum.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I took This Russian boar at over 30 yards with a 700 grain arrow package. Entered the ham, traveled through 35 inches of boar and exited behind the ear.

Entrance.

Exit.

Passed through ribs on both sides the far side shoulder and the arrow went another 10 yards into the snow. A 450 grain arrow would not have been able to accomplish this kind of result since it would not have the needed momentum.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-29-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

One of the big does I took last year with my heavy setup . Smashed through both shoulders breaking both front legs and taking out the vitals and passed through. A 450 grain arrow would not have taken out even one shoulder. This was done with a 165 grain head, a special insert and weight tubes in the arrow. If the worst happens, have confidence that high momentum will aid you.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-29-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Took these 2 P&Y bucks last year with the same arrow I took the doe with.

Quartering away, through the near side scapula and exited in front of the shoulder severing the top of the heart and the stuff that makes the far side shoulder work so he stood there and turned into a faucet rather than running off with an arrow in him, requiring a tracking job. GO to the woods with a heavy setup and new spend time wondering if everything will go perfectly and know the even if it doesn't, you have momentum to back you up. And no silly mech heads you have to worry about opening or breaking.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-29-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Impressive animals but those animals are not what the average bow hunter goes after. And except for those large boar, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any of those other animals with my set up. You never mentioned what poundage you're shooting. What is it?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

Impressive animals but those animals are not what the average bow hunter goes after.
Im not designing this broadhead for the average bowhunter. Im designing it for my specific wants but the average bowhunter would benefit from abandoning the 100 grain broadhead fad and the speed fad and go back to the benefits of high momentum and we would see far fewer, "I hit a big buck and cant find it" threads where they blame everything from the broadhead to the "void" when they should be blaming themselves but they tout how fast their bow is when speed doesn't kill.

And except for those large boar, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any of those other animals with my set up.
I laughed. That water buff would have run off with you arrow stick far out of it sending you on a search.

You never mentioned what poundage you're shooting. What is it?
I did but you are not reading the words I post. Its clearly stated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.