Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it live or Memorex? A different kind of decoy >

Is it live or Memorex? A different kind of decoy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it live or Memorex? A different kind of decoy

Old 10-31-2003, 08:24 PM

Default Is it live or Memorex? A different kind of decoy

All the talk of decoys brought something to mind I hadn' t thought about in years. The Ky Dept of Fish and Game had a decoy too. They called it Memorex. Memorex could lift his head (which had a nice 8 point rack), turn it, and put it back down as though looking around while feeding. He could also twitch his tail and looked very real from about 50 yards away.

They placed him (and still do as far as I know) off the side of the road in different areas during gun season. I' m sure you know what follows.

Joe Redneck comes driving down the road in his 4X4 with the tobacco juice stains running down the door. He sees Memorex and locks it up. " Hot dang Joe Bob look at that!"

Out comes the .30-06 and BOOM!....BOOM! " Whut the hail!??"

Sometimes they would shoot 2 or three times before finally figuring out something wasn' t right. Out come they guys from F&G and he' s busted for hunting from his vehicle and on a road. They video taped all this for court evidence.

Since a friend of mine was the Game Warden for a while, I got to see several of these captures on tape. I dang near peed my pants laughing at some of these guys. The expressions on their faces were absolutely priceless! At least none of them were stupid enought to try to dispute the evidence in court. 100% conviction rate.

So the next time you' re cruising around during gun season, see that buck over in the field next to the road, and the thought comes to your mind, you' d better ask yourself this question: " Is it live, or is it Memorex?"
Old 11-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is it live or Memorex? A different kind of decoy

Yep,
They do the same thing here in wisconsin. My brother was out last week and they had a fake mechanical pheasant sitting along the side of the road. Along comes a couple of kids with their shotguns......bam, bam...........out comes johny law
Old 11-01-2003, 09:54 AM

I guess it wouldn' t be an issue now would it if you were playing by the rules.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

i saw a couple video' s on real tv once with the fake deer. one guy shot the damn thing 3 or 4 times with a bow and hit it every time. lol

i think something would be wrong after the first shot hit it and it just stood there.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:41 AM

I saw one here in Michigan where a guy got out, pulled the rifle out and racked a round, scope up, safety off....and unloaded and put it away. He tried to drive off but the C.O.' s stopped him anyway.

They asked him why he didn' t shoot and he said he was ready too but didn' t see any plumes of condensation from the bucks breathing (very cold out) and he than knew it was a decoy and figured he better be on his way!LOL.

At least he' s an observant poacher