Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Still haven' t caught up with this buck >

Still haven' t caught up with this buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Still haven' t caught up with this buck

Old 10-31-2003, 07:22 AM
jec

Default Still haven' t caught up with this buck

Every week, I have fresh rubs, but I have yet to see the buck. Went out yesterday and had 6 new rubs and he' s really tearing the place up, directly 10 yards in front of my boxstand. I' d love to catch up with him this weekend, before gun deer season opens next Sat., I' ve grunted, used a can and rattled. Anything I should try to bring him out?
Old 10-31-2003, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Still haven' t caught up with this buck

Sounds like he' s coming by without you grunting, using the can or rattleing. Maybe he knows you' re there when he hears that stuff and he waits until you leave.

I' d try just being quite on the way in and waiting quitely.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:51 AM

do you hunt all day, he may be sneaking in there during the midday if he knows that you are gone?
Old 10-31-2003, 12:38 PM
jec

I' ll try both this weekend!
Old 10-31-2003, 12:39 PM

Jec

I agree hunt all day and don' t leave until it is dark. If you don' t see him then he is nocturnal. Your going have to pattern the buck back to his bedding area? Are the rub line facing a bedding area or feed area or both. If it is going back to a bedding area were it is thick setup as close as possible to his bed(75 yards) and you can catch him when he gets up to head to a feeding source. If the rub line is heading away from a feeding source then your going have to be in your stand before he goes to bed. I would wait to hunt him until closer to the rut if this is the case. If you get busted by him going in early at his bedding area then the game is over, he will move out to a new bedding area (especially if he is a mature buck). Pattern the deer and I think you will get him. TR Micheals forum has a excellent post on patterning deer check it out.........good luck!