Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
non (but not anti) hunter needs education please >

non (but not anti) hunter needs education please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

non (but not anti) hunter needs education please

Old 10-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taking down a trespassers' game camera and turning it over to local wildlife enforcement is not theft. I generally call the wardens out and have them photograph the camera on the tree and document the case well, then I forcefully remove the camera. If removing it with bolt cutters and an axe causes damage to the poaching equipment - as hunting activities on property without permission is so viewed in my state - then so be it.

But I live and own property in states where private property is that, and trespassing is trespassing.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm also quite happy to hang no hunting and no trespassing signs frequently enough along a fence line such they cannot be plausibly missed.

And I'm also quite happy to spend money on a wireless game camera to send me photos of the trespassers in the act. Pretty compelling argument to keep guys off of your property when you can confront them with evidence of their trespassage.

I put cards on the tree above my wireless game cameras, because I HAVE had trespassers succeed or attempt to steal, reset, or otherwise impede my cameras to destroy evidence. The wireless cameras are insurance I will get the evidence I want. I've also done buddy cameras viewing another conspicuous camera to capture evidence if a trespasser tried to cover their tracks.

I'm also very content to be neighborly with my neighboring property owners. If their kids, cousins, nephews, whoever they allow hunt THEIR property becomes a problem for MY property, my neighbors are respectful enough for me to disallow those hunters.

Good fences make good neighbors - to me, that means keep your schitt on your side, so you're not a bad neighbor.

If I find a camera on my property, I don't leave it up. Either I remove it or I have a warden come witness removal. It's trespassing. I might give a guy a day to call me and try to get his camera back - at which point I'd let him know I've contacted the wardens and have to transfer it as evidence. Maybe I have, maybe not. I really have to like a guy before he gets back his toys after trespassing onto my property.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in the camp of removing the camera and leaving a contact. After all you "don't really know who the camera belongs to." If the camera is on your side and the stand on the neighbors side maybe "you thought somebody might be trespassing on both properties"

If it is the neighbor that is how I would start the conversation.

"I didn't know who's cameras it was but I found a camera and was concerned about my horses" maybe you "don't mind them putting their camera there and are just concerned about shooting/hunting on your property with your horses"

Gives you a chance to feel it out without making accusations or being a pushover.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they are your neighbor I would introduce myself and let them know you noticed they left a cam on your property. If they seem like reasonable people I would let them hunt the edge of your property where the trail is. I think you are worrying unnecessarily about them shooting your animals. It is not even remotely likely. Hunters really do know the difference between deer and horses believe it or not. If they seem like jerks than warn them about tresspassing and that you will be pressing charges for future viloations. Good luck and hopefully you make some new friends. They may end up helping you out someday if the situation works out.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by livbucks
If they are your neighbor I would introduce myself and let them know you noticed they left a cam on your property. If they seem like reasonable people I would let them hunt the edge of your property where the trail is. I think you are worrying unnecessarily about them shooting your animals. It is not even remotely likely. Hunters really do know the difference between deer and horses believe it or not. If they seem like jerks than warn them about tresspassing and that you will be pressing charges for future viloations. Good luck and hopefully you make some new friends. They may end up helping you out someday if the situation works out.
I will have to say this, due to I have worked on many farms where horses and cows have been shot in hunting season over 35+ yrs
I fully agree 99% of the time, MOST hunters know its NOT a deer, and that really has NOT been the issue I have found
the issue seems to be idiots seem to like to shoot things, hear there gun go bang, or??
being spiteful that they cannot hunt on the property the animals are ion, or disputes with land owners.
nothing to do with mis ID of the animal, and knowing they can get away with it, MOST times, due to large acres and cannot be in every place to catch them

I fully agree the best road to travel with new neighbors is, go easy and be NICE as you can, good neighbors are a blessing
BAD neighbors can be a nightmare!

I have one farm I managed, that the one neighbor lived out of state, and he posted his land, but is NEVER there, everyone and there brother hunts it at will, and wanders off HIS lands onto the farm I manage, due to most deer live OFF his land(poor cover and habitat on this guys land)
it was Nothing to catch 35-40 HUNTERS a yr trespassing from his side to the farms side over a 5 yr time frame I filled 1/2 of a
5 gallon bucket with arrows I found stuck in the farm fields, where they shot at ?? and missed
Flat tires on tractors have happened there due to arrows?? costly expense!

the LAND owner refused to help, saying he didn't care what when on the land as it "DIDN"T EAT ANYTHING" was his replys.
I offered to PAY for security to kick trespassers out IF he would follow up in court as I caught them
but he refused to do so
this was a cattle farm and crops, over 25 yrs I was there about a dozen cows were killed or wounded there with both gun shots and arrows!
again spiteful shootings IMO< due to they were NOT allowed to hunt the farm, a property known to hold HUGE bucks!
thus another reason for so much trespassing issue's!

SO< my advice is again, be nice up front, and you will know what your in for from how that first contact goes, or MOST times you will.