Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story >

Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

Old 11-03-2003, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Earn a Buck program in NJ- your story

Thank You Very Little
Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HUNT ZONE 4 IN NJ. IN THIS ZONE I HAVE MY CHOICE OF EITHER 2 ANTLERLESS DEER, OR 1 BUCK FOR EACH SEASON. I CAN TAKE A BUCK 1st IF I LIKE TOO. THIS ZONE IS SO LARGE WITH SO MANY PLACES FOR THE DEER TO HOLD UP. THERE WAS A TIME I SAW WELL OVER 25 DEER A DAY, LAST 3 YEARS I SEE MAYBE 3/5 DEER A DAY. EARN-A-BUCK PROGRAM SOUNDS GREAT ON PAPER. THEY SHOULD ALLOW THE HUNTERS TO HARVEST THERE ANTLESS DEER EARLY IN THE SEASON, SO ONCE THE RUT STARTS YOU CAN GO AFTER THE BUCKS. I DO NOTICE THAT THE BUCKS IN NJ ARE GETTING BIGGER
Old 11-03-2003, 02:47 PM

I' m in southern Maine and actually believe earn a buck might be a good thing for our deer heard. In Maine durring bow season it is either or buck or doe. Durring firearm season it is bucks only and you have to be drawn for a doe permit. Basically if a deers antlers are 3 inches long the deer is dead.
Opening day of rifle season was Saturday and two spikes were taken out in the woods I hunt, a piece of wood aprox 400 acers in size. No mature bucks and virtually no one was drawn for doe permits. As I said in other post the the buck/doe ration is about 1/25. Basically the way I see it we are doing nothing to control the deer population. The one buck will take care of all the does and the bucks will never get to be bigger than spikes if we are forced to shoot bucks only. I find this just crazy. It makes no sense to let small bucks walk just for someone else who dosn' t care about hunting a trophy to shoot it 10 minutes after I let it walk.
Yes. in other parts of Maine there are big big bucks but in York county the heard is unbalanced and shooting baby bucks isn' t helping to solve the problem. If hunters could get their meat (and in my opion should) by shooting doe and be able to let the small bucks live I' d be all for earn a buck. I' ve read in post I belive in PA bucks must be six points to be legal(correct me if I' m wrong, I' m sure you will) What a great Idea. Shoot doe and let buck grow a bit. I guess I' m barking up the wrong tree.
If your state has an earn a buck program and you see shooter bucks I think the program is working. Granted it may be excessive but at least you are seeing big bucks. In York county Me. we have doe, DEAD SPIKES and the occasional Shooter. I' m for doe meat and BIG BUCKS!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:59 PM

So your option is to break the law?
I am weighing all my options - incase it does happen.

having someone else kill em for me is not against the law - my doe tags are transferable.

Tagging a fresh raodkill would be against the law - the degree of the infraction though IMO is on the very low end of the law ladder. And at this point I think I could sleep well at night after doing such. Then again maybe not.

Or I could just shoot em myself

We will see when/if the time ever comes
Old 11-03-2003, 06:11 PM

Most of the road kills I see are pretty messed up,and often bloated.If ya got a real strong stomach,go for it.

Joe
Old 11-04-2003, 04:34 AM

NJ Division of F and W is losing the support of us hunters and that is a shame and that is why they are legislating everything under the sun. The earn a buck program is absolutely a joke. I have written letters, harrassed the poor deer check guys (division employees must man check stations during buck week and doe days) I have even " discussed it wth Bob McDowell and all to no avail. It sucks.
[:@][:@][:@]
Any law that causes the state to hire some poor slob to ride around the roads and paint the road kills with orange marking paint is just plain wrong. I don' t mind only shooting one buck. That is fine but let it be the first deer, the tenth deer, or whatever. My son, in his first year, passed on a white eight point at under ten yards and a three point at three steps from the tree because of this screwed up law. How do any of they justify that? If he stops hunting they will have to manage bluebirds in Paterson!

It is simple, some of us just hunt for ourselves. I think that it is wrong to kill a deer and give it to the wolf preserve, donate it to the food pantry, or whatever. If I can' t use it, I let it walk. I have evolved to shoot the first thing that walks by, even spots, so that when that buck comes through, I can shoot. Hey, I wouldn' t blame the guy who checks the road kill and I hope that his buddies check the same deer. Share the wealth!

I can' t wait until the bear class I have to take to be able to hunt bear here. I' m going to have some fun just to make myself feel better. Let them pull my bear tag, I' m not giving up a deer hunting day to hunt a bear anyway.

I' d love to keep bitc_ng but I have to go study for my thesis. I have to read the damn game laws before I hunt this afternoon.

Greg
Old 11-04-2003, 12:23 PM

Gryan, I agree NJ is way off with the current Game laws and most everyone I talk to agrees. What caught my eye in your post was the white 8pt. What county did you son almost get him ? The reason I ask is I have been watching a white 8pt since spring and was wondering if its the same buck. I even have pictures of him.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:37 PM

I' ve been hunting all seasons (except muzzie) for the past 15 years here in NJ. I have to say I passed up many nice shots at bucks over the years because I didn' t have my doe yet. I think it' s a good thing to force hunters to take does before bucks, but I don' t like it that we have to satisfy this each season. I like the idea of maybe having to take 1 doe for both bow seasons and another doe for shotgun seasons. I think a 1-for-1 is just too much and it forces the not-so-honest hunters to break the law.

It' s tough to pass up shots, but the law is the law. Fortunately for me, I got my button buck on the first day of permit bow so I am ready for the rut and possibly a buck. But to be honest, if another doe happens to come by and present a decent shot, I' ll drop her without a second shot. In my zone, i have to take a 5 point or better so last week' s 4 pointer had to walk. So, I am 50-50 on the rules. I think taking 2 does is enough and 4 is too many and too tough unless you are baiting heavily or picking up roadkill. I liked the one idea from a prior poster who said you should be able to carry-over does into subsequent seasons. However, that' s just something else for the gov' t to attempt to track and eventually screw up!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:05 AM
Spike

Default button bucks are tag as antlered or anterless

a question im wondering a button buck with no protruding antler breaking out from the skull. it was harvested thinking it was a doe, with the hope of taking a doe first new jersey rule, so as to pursue a buck. my question is that counted as a buck or anterless i wanna be honest and true to the law. im a bowhunter not a poacher. any help is appreciated. } - -