Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I got a new swamp to hunt....help >

I got a new swamp to hunt....help

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got a new swamp to hunt....help

Old 10-28-2003, 10:38 AM

Default I got a new swamp to hunt....help

I got permission to hunt a 100 acre swamp area that butts up to a field on another property. I killed a nice 8pt on the east end of the swamp as he was heading to a corn field. Since gun season is almost here the owner wants me to move my stand away from the field that is close to his stand. I am moving my stand this weekend. The area were I can move is tho the far west side of the swamp. I have ridden back here on my grizz 660(ATV) and it is thick and untouched(perfect buck bedding area). I was looking at the aerial photos and noticed a field to the west of the swamp about 50 yards on the other side of the property line. There are to inside corners leading from the field into the swamp were I believe the big bucks are bedding. I was thinking about setting my stand just inside the swamp within 50 yards from the property line to intercept bucks heading to the field in the evening to feed or cruising for does during the rut. If you look at the picture the blue square is were my stand is currently, were I arrowed the buck on opening day. The yellow square is were I am thinking I am going to move the stand. i am going to get in there this weekend and really check the place out. Hope fully I will find good sign but when your close tho a bedding area sometimes you don' t see much sign. I don' t know what is growing in the field to the west I may have to climb a tree and glass it.......your thoughts

Old 10-28-2003, 10:45 AM

Default RE: I got a new swamp to hunt....help

sorry.....The field is to the east !
Old 10-28-2003, 10:48 AM

man I got my bearings all screwed up. The corn field is on the west side of the swamp near my stand (blue square). The new field is just across the redline(propery line) on the far east side of the property!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the air it looks good, however the contour of the land leading out of the swamp to the field will have a major effect on their travel routes. Looking at it from the air you may consider depending on the property line moving southeast where the woods come more out into the field.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:53 AM

Looking at it from the air you may consider depending on the property line moving southeast where the woods come more out into the field.
I completely agree and my thoughts exactly Tazman... One note, be sure and look for those funnels ! ! ! ! !
Old 10-28-2003, 11:43 AM

the area is completely flat. I always thought setting up between 2 inside corners would be your best option? Is the buck going to travel the quickest path to the field? your thoughts......
Old 10-29-2003, 09:54 AM

Any others have opinions?
Old 10-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

tnichols a buck in particular will prefer to enter a field at or near the tip of either a thicket or woods as far out into the field as possible because they want to be able to see as much of the field as possible before they enter it, this is one reason why you will find in a square field most deer will enter it from the highest corner they can, it allows them to stand right in the edge of the woods and check out the whole field before they enter it. This does not hold true 100% of the time, but definantly the majority of the time.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

If the red line is the property line, you can' t move much further east. I do agree on the move to the south. Any standing water you could use as a buffer would be very helpful