Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DANG IT!!!

Old 10-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default DANG IT!!!

I was in my stand tonight. Let me explain a bit about this spot. It is in a fence row between 2 corn fields both uncut. There is always a rub/scrape line on both sides of this fence and I am in the only tree that you could wedge a stand in. There is corn all knocked down on both sides and deer could come from almost anywhere but they have to follow the fence to get anywhere else. PERFECT!
I have hunted it a few times but havent seen one lousy deer out of it. Did I mention I dont need to drive to get there, its about 1/4 of a mile off of my back porch.
I got there yesterday to find that over the 6 days I havent been there, 12 rubs have showed up within shooting distance of my tree have poped up along with 2 scrapes on down in the corner of the field. I am pumped! I hunted it that morning and didnt see a deer. Had a bonfire to attend that evening so I was out late for that so I forgot to set my alarm and overslept this morning[:@] So I went to church instead.
This evening I got out there and was sitting high by 5:00. About 5:15 I can hear something on down toward the corner of my left, the direction I walked in on but it sounds like its on the other side of the fence. I can hear it for about 30min. milling around or something. He only has about 50yds to play in till I can see so I dont know if he was bedded down and just was adjusting or what. All the sudden I hear it and then I see a rack moving toward me from behind me from where the noise was. I am facing north and he will pass behind me, the south.
When I see him he is about 40yds. I manage to turn around manuver my bow around the tree that is beside me on the left and clip on. He gets about 4 steps from my shooting lane and I draw while his head is down. He stops in his tracks. 3 steps from my lane, Im at full draw. DANG IT, he musta heard my draw. He looks around LOOKS UP AT ME, then away and around again and sencing something aint right, he gets out of there tail down and not blowing. I dont see anouther thing.
So he was 5yds from the base of my tree and Im at full draw and he only needs to take 3 STEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know how big he was. I havent killed anything with my bow yet so I saw a racked buck and was gonna shoot. He was 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old, that would be my guess.
Sorry for the long post. I was shaking so bad and my knees were knockin Im happy that I saw one, agrovated that I didnt over 3 measily steps.
O well, I had fun
Old 10-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:33 PM
nub

Default RE: DANG IT!!!

Do you have cover around you? Perhaps you were skylined.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

He didnt skyline me I dont think. From where he was, I had 3 trunks behind me and had a branch with little limbs between me and him. This tree im in is like 3 trees that grew with one base shaped in a C. I dont think he skylined me but, Ive been wrong before and I dont see like he does so its possible.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Did he wind you? Does your rest make a scraping noise when you draw? 5 yards is danger close as far as a deers senses go. Are you up high enough? If you can do it without much fuss I' d try to sneak up a different tree somewhere in the hedgerow. At the minimum, give it a few days off.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:35 PM

I would move my stand tommorrow, if possible, even if it is 30 yards away.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

I would figure out where he is coming from and try to meet up with him before he get to that spot. Just make sure you move your stand at mid-day when he is less likely to be there.
Its very possible that whatever spooked him will cause him to start showing up later. Try to set up where you think he is entering the corn and put a couple of scent bombs out so he will be a little distracted.

Also make sure you bow is drawing whisper quiet, it does not take much to spook a mature buck. If you move your stand like I suggest make sure your stand is about 20 yards from where you expect the buck to be, 5 yards is a very bad angle from a treestand and it is too close to get by with any movement or noise.

Just some suggestions, I hope this helps.

Have a great day and good luck.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:16 AM

Hey man, I know the feeling. About a month ago I had a 130' s class 8 pointer walking down a trail and leterally had his front foot in my shooting lane. As he took a step I drew and one of the other bucks with him saw me and took off. All that buck would have had to do was finish his step and he was mine.

It' s a horrible feeling but look at it this way, would you rather have seen nothing again???? Good luck.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

With him being so close and me being up about 18ft. I dont think he smelled me. I didnt walk over there so he didnt cross where I walke so he didnt smell that.

I can hear a faint ssshhhhhh when I draw but my buddy used it and never had any problems with it before. I am trying to decide what to do. Should I put some cloth or something on it to keep it from doing that?

I am about 18ft. up. I know 5yds is very close but this is the only spot to hunt right there. They cut the corner by like 40yds and I dont shoot that far so thats out, the other corner is about 300yds away and they bed in it so every time I would try to get in, I would bump them. This is the ONLY tree in this row I can get in. All the other trees are either too small or not straight enough to get a stand in. This fence row is only about 8yds across.

I aint hunting that stand again till Friday night.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

There is no other trees to get in. The others are too small or not straight

Quick Reply: DANG IT!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.