Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question about ordering bow >

Question about ordering bow

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about ordering bow

Old 08-19-2016, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question about ordering bow

I'm looking to pick up a new PSE Brute Force. I'm due for a new arrow rest etc as my current bow and accessories are pushing 10 years old. This bow comes in a ready to shoot package which is very appealing to me as I do not have anyone at home to help move my peep etc and the nearest archery shop is an hour away. There's a bass pro 40 min away that sells this bow and I see its in stock and on sale until the 21st. I've shot this bow and know it's the one I want, question is, if I ordered the bow online (also on sale), will it come with peep already installed and arrow rest on, string loop installed etc or are they all loose in the box and I must put on? If that's the case I'll take a drive tomorrow and buy in person, if not, I'll just order. Thanks
Old 08-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, they might or might not be on the bow (more than likely not) but it would be an EXTREMELY rare occasion that they are placed properly. Every person is different. Their eye at a different distance from the anchor point for the peep than someone else's, ect. ect. You will need to take the bow to a shop unless you know how to serve in a peep and tie on a string loop, set up your draw length, set your arrow rest and noch point, and all the other goodies that comes with setting up a new bow. If I were you, I would go to the nearest shop that has a range and QUALIFIED techs to help you get your bow set up and TUNED properly. May cost a little money but it's best in the long run. I don't know where you are located but SOME Bass Pro Shops have fairly decent techs to help you while others wouldn't know proper setup if it bit them in the butt. Hopefully yours is in the good list. If you have a reputable dedicated archery shop within relatively the same distance, I would go there to get your bow set up. Unless you have it on good authority that your Bass Pro Shop is among the good tech stores.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well, they might or might not be on the bow (more than likely not) but it would be an EXTREMELY rare occasion that they are placed properly. Every person is different. Their eye at a different distance from the anchor point for the peep than someone else's, ect. ect. You will need to take the bow to a shop unless you know how to serve in a peep and tie on a string loop, set up your draw length, set your arrow rest and noch point, and all the other goodies that comes with setting up a new bow. If I were you, I would go to the nearest shop that has a range and QUALIFIED techs to help you get your bow set up and TUNED properly. May cost a little money but it's best in the long run. I don't know where you are located but SOME Bass Pro Shops have fairly decent techs to help you while others wouldn't know proper setup if it bit them in the butt. Hopefully yours is in the good list. If you have a reputable dedicated archery shop within relatively the same distance, I would go there to get your bow set up. Unless you have it on good authority that your Bass Pro Shop is among the good tech stores.
Thanks for reply. Yeah I was wondering how they would have the peep pre set for me. I don't have confidence in my ability to do it all myself. The only reason I'd go to basspro is they had the model I wanted on sale for $50 off. Maybe I'll order it and then drive to the archery shop to have them set me up. They're reputation is extremely good around here so I'm confident they'll get me set straight. Just trying to save myself some drive time but I'm thinking the time I save driving will be nothing compared to the time and aggravation to get my bow right if I did it myself
Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought my very first new bow many.... many years ago from a mail order company (BDW) thinking I knew enough about it to get it right. Wrong move...I ended up having to take it to a local shop and having it set up properly for my body and actually needed different arrows for the best performance. I wasted a lot of time and ended up spending more than if I had just gone to the local shop in the first place. I shot that bow for a year but ended up buying another better bow from that local shop which was more of a fit for my body and shooting style. That local shop taught me all the ins and outs of bow tuning so it was a very good resource. I often just paid a visit to see what was new and shoot the breeze.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

You will be much better served if you go to a bow shop to get your bow and have the expertise of the employees to get you set up properly. There are some things that can be ordered through a catalog or web site and are ready to go. There are other things that are not. An hours or 40 minute drive is a small price to pay to have your bow correctly set up for you.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Even if they are on there they won't be set up properly. Just take a drive tomorrow and get it done right.
-Jake
Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Spike

Default Pro shop tech

Find a quality dealer and pro shop tech as mentioned above. There are many people out there who think they can properly set up archery equipment. I've done it for 20 plus years and I seem to learn something new everyday. A compound bow is about as complicated and technical as it gets if you don't know what your doing. From proper arrow selection to how many twist to put in a string to allow the peep to turn correctly. Anyone can learn to do it correctly if they put forth the effort. The problem is the learning curve can be expensive and frustrating. Find a good tech and many headaches will suddenly disappear. Happy Shooting! !!!