Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wish me luck

Old 10-22-2003, 07:22 AM

Default Wish me luck

I got drawn for the second of three hunts this weekend on a local WMA. It has become overrun with deer and they had to open it up to hunting over the last few years. It is legendary for monster buck sightings. Only problem is the first two hunts are doe or spike only. The third is 9 points or better. I' ve been told by those that have hunted it in the past that a camera is almost mandatory. Lots of folks don' t kill their does or spikes for filming the big boys. One of the officers I spoke to said some guys will already be drawn on a doe and in walks big boy and they let down to start filming. I' m juiced. Wish me luck and I' ll take a camera and post pics or video later(I hope). Scouting day is tomorrow(thursday). I hate to scout the day before a hunt, but that is how it is set up.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Wish me luck

I' ll be the first to step up and say congrats on the tag and good luck....

Enjoy every moment you' re out there and keep us posted on how you do....
Old 10-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Time to double the luck and an earlier congrats as well[:-]

Keep us informed
Old 10-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck comndr
Old 10-27-2003, 06:32 AM

Well, it was very disappointing for me. Having only one day to scout 6-7000 acres of virgin territory made things difficult. I found a great area loaded with persimmons in a finger of woods between 2 bean fields. Excellent spot for traffic in several directions. I didn' t see the first deer there. Moved around after the first day. Jumped a few on ATV' s, and my bro-in-law jumped 2 monsters in his truck. With 100 hunters drawn, there were only 7-8 deer checked on Friday, 4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Late yesterday evening I saw my first deer in the woods. I had a spike come in for a perfect shot at 20 yards, but when I drew my hat got in the way of the string and I couldn' t get to my anchor. I couldn' t get my hat to turn without too much movement, and he got by me before I could get the shot off. My bro-in-law had 16 deer come by and he picked one off at 35 yards.

I did find rubs on 7-8" trees and scrapes everywhere. I heard two monsters fighting just before dark yesterday. Sounded like someone slapping 2x4' s together. Much deeper tone than any rattling antlers I' ve heard. One guy spotted a monster across a field with kickers on all of his tines and a couple of droptines.

I' ll apply again next year, because I' ll have had a little more scouting experience and should be able to find some deer. Maybe I' ll get drawn for the 9 points or better hunt.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:52 AM

Sorry you didn' t score but you did have a great opportunity to spend some time in some new woods. Hope you enjoyed yourself .