Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Rangefinder advice for bow hunting >

Need Rangefinder advice for bow hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Rangefinder advice for bow hunting

Old 10-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need Rangefinder advice for bow hunting

I purchased a Nikon rangefinder 400 for $199 at bass pro but have found it to be difficult to use unless the sun is moderately strong. The optics are 8x20 and the lenses probably don' t have good coatings, so light tranmission is not that great. I don' t really want to spend a fortune on such a device so I am wondering if the performance is any better on a bushnell or other similarly priced rangefinder. Since i also want to use it for rifle season, i want one that works out to 3-400 yds.

any ideas?

thx
Old 10-21-2003, 07:29 PM

Default RE: Need Rangefinder advice for bow hunting

i have a bushnell, gave about the same price, works fine, maybe a little hard to see the cross hairs and yardage in extremely low light, but i have nothing to compare it to. is your battery ok?????? might give it a try...just a thought
Old 10-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need Rangefinder advice for bow hunting

I have an old Bushnell that I bought years ago for the around $225. It works great even before shooting light at bowhunting distances. I also have a Scout that my son gave me for Xmas last year. It to seems to work fine in low light but not as well in rain etc as the Bushnell. I like it for bowhunting because of it' s size. If yours won' t work except in real good or bright light.... I' d take it back.