Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coyotes

Old 10-21-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Coyotes

I am curious about what everyone thinks on this issue. Number of posts about coyotes getting to deer, before the deer is recovered. It happens alot here in Iowa if you leave the deer out overnight.

I will give you a senario to go with, You shoot a deer in legal light but decide to wait until morning to track because of darkness. Find deer first thing in morning with every intention of tagging only to find out that the coyotes found it and have ate most of the deer already.

Do you tag the deer? Do you chalk it up to nature? In some states this may be the only bow tag you get. I know of no area in the country where the deer population is hurting to the point where hunters would have to be required to tag a deer where they were at no fault, but still lost thier deer to coyotes.

Personally I will not tag a deer that has been eaten by coyotes. Maybe I am in the minority here. Just wanted to know?
Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes

First off, I' d be huntin a lot of yotes in my off season time....Next to that I' d be familar enough with my territory to track and recover in the dark no matter how long it took..as far as taggin the bones, it hasn' t happened to me yet..
Old 10-21-2003, 10:46 AM

This is a what if thread,

I totally agree with the tracking at night but there are certain reasons why you may not track it that night. Maybe you were not sure of the shot, shoot a deer at dusk and give it 4 to 6 hours to expire will put you around midnight to 2:00 am. In our area this may already be too late.

I also agree with the off season hunting but we live in an area where at least 200 coyotes are shot each year in only a 10 mile area. So the population doesn' t ever drop. They just keep reproducing and moving in from other areas.

I was just surprised at the number of people who would tag a eaten deer. Not saying it is wrong just surprised me.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is an interesting " what if" thread. There are many variables that could be factored in. If I find a deer and I can confirm that it was my kill then I would tag it. If it' s nothing but a pile of bones then it would be a different story. How do I know my deer isn' t still running wild?
Old 10-21-2003, 11:26 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I would tag it and then call the local conservation officer. If you harvest a deer and this happens here they will issue you a new tag so you can have one to use. Everyone should check with their state on that, this is something you should know before it happens
Old 10-21-2003, 11:33 AM

I am 1 of those guys who just tagged a coyote eaten deer. Legally I did not have to tag it. I could have called a WCO and they would issue me an additional tag to hunt with in PA. I personally felt that since it was my action which killed that deer, it was not right for me to grab another tag and kill a different buck. I' ve always looked at it that you are given 1 tag in PA with which to harvest a buck, whether that' s with a bow, a rifle or a muzzleloader.. it doesn' t matter. 1 buck per person. I killed my buck as I saw it, the fact I hit it just a bit back was my fault, and if I had made a clean kill that buck would be in my freezer. I rolled the dice by giving a liver hit time, and lost it to coyotes.

I am not saying here, nor did I tell my friends I was hunting with that day that " my way" was the right or only way in this situation. They told me to call the warden and get a new tag so I could go back during rifle season, but it didn' t feel right to me. So I tagged it, took some photos for the album, and I' ll put the rack on the wall. I can assure you I' ll be thinking of that buck every time I' m in a tree stand and the wind is really blowing. With just a little luck and whole bunch of effort I plan on gettng me another deer for the freezer in PA or another state this year.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Dang Coyotes!
Shot a nice fat doe yesterday evening about 4:00. Don' t know why, but I hit her a little further back, in the liver area. (Wind was blowing pretty good). She ran about 70 yards and laid down. I backed out and came in again about 9:00 last night. Found her tail and one rear leg. What a mess. [:@] Nope, didn' t tag neither the tail nor the leg. Been practicing with my broadheads today.