Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 backstraps vs. tenderloin >

backstraps vs. tenderloin

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

backstraps vs. tenderloin

Old 10-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: backstraps vs. tenderloin

that would be wrong... but a common mistake, it' s like a porterhouse t bone, you get both the backstrap and the tenderloin in the T of the bone...same for whitetails, the inner is the tenderloin the backstrap is just that
That may be true where you live but where I live the terms are used interchangeably. The loins on the inside are referenced as " inside tenders" while the loins on the outside are called either tenderloins or backstraps. However, our butchers inevitably refer the outside loins as the tenderloin rather than the backstrap.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

The backstraps run along the outside on top of the ribs, also called chops. The tenderloins are much smaller and are on the inside behind the kidneys. When you field dress your deer you can leave the kidneys in to protect the tenderloins from drying out and getting dirty till you get home.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:08 PM

The tenderloin, inside the rib cage is the Filet Mignon in beef.

I always thought the Filet Mignon was the back strap. What steak do you get from a beef backstrap? The Ribeye?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:20 PM

Had them from a muley once,fried them in butter.Made a big hit in camp that night.
Makin me hungry thinkin about it.

Joe
Old 10-17-2003, 02:25 PM

I' m with the others here. While both are great cuts of meat the tenderloin is my favorite.

The straps run along the back bone and the tenderlion is under the kidneys.

MMMMMMM................I' m getting hungry.....
Old 10-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are the best!!! Cook them up the night you get the deer. Cut into strips, fry in hot butter with slices or onion and green pepper. Then alittle salt and pepper. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes Belle the ribeye, steaks and roasts.Towards the back you get the sirloin. If you cut the loin into a steak and leave a portion of the fillet on you get a tbone and porterhouse. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm
Old 10-17-2003, 10:24 PM

Mmmm. This is the first thread that made me want to go pull some elk backstrap out of the freezer (which I am going to do here in just a minute).

I like to cut it into thin strips and rub a little pepper and garlic powder on it and give it a quickie on the BBQ. Saute some onions and wash it all down with a cold beer. Guess who' s gonna be living the " High Life" tommorow night!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:41 PM

I personally love both....

The backstrap is great grilled...

try this marinade.......one bottle bbq sauce, one bottle italian dressing,mix together, let meat marinade in it for at least 24-36hrs. in frig.....what i do is cut the backstraps into filet
mignon cuts...bout couple inches thick....marinade......then wrap with bacon...put toothpick through to hold bacon on.....cook on grill over low to med heat(depending on your grill) till cooked the way you like it.....
mmmmmm.....mmmmmmm....good...

p.s i like to use bullseye bbq sauce( imo ) mauls just doesnt taste right with it....
but try which ever bbq sauce you like....
Old 10-18-2003, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes Belle the ribeye, steaks and roasts.Towards the back you get the sirloin. If you cut the loin into a steak and leave a portion of the fillet on you get a tbone and porterhouse. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/beefcuts.htm
There you go...

A T Bone has the backstrap left in, a Porterhouse T Bone has the backstrap and the Filet Mignon or Tenderloin as well.