Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot? >

How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Spike

Default How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot?

Comparatively(and relatively), how far do crossbow and compound bows range on an adult size for deer hunting. I'm sure it depends on different factors like the bolts and draw weight but I'm just looking for a good average on average sized bows.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, there are many factors to that question but the KEY one is do you EFFECTIVE range or actual range that you can make an arrow fly to?
Old 09-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

How far they shoot, and how far can you be reasonably sure of making a good shot are two entirely things. They will shoot a whole lot further than than anyone should be shooting at a deer. Here is the answer you your question. If the distance is further than the distance you have practices at and are confident of a killing shot, don't shoot.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How far they shoot, and how far can you be reasonably sure of making a good shot are two entirely things. They will shoot a whole lot further than than anyone should be shooting at a deer. Here is the answer you your question. If the distance is further than the distance you have practices at and are confident of a killing shot, don't shoot.
you nailed it; nothing to add, good answer!
Old 09-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Spike

I have a cousin who can shoot a 2" group at 100 yds with his bow, but he doesn't hunt that distance. There are too many variables, most especially that tiny unseen twig, branch, or gust of wind that will knock your arrow off course.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Agree with all the above, the same bow has a different distance in each hand that uses it. The same goes for any weapon, at what distance can you consistently group the projectile.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Rushlight
I have a cousin who can shoot a 2" group at 100 yds with his bow, but he doesn't hunt that distance. There are too many variables, most especially that tiny unseen twig, branch, or gust of wind that will knock your arrow off course.
If he can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards he needs to be on the US Olympic Team.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by The Rev
If he can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards he needs to be on the US Olympic Team.
He's not interested in that. He's a staff writer for a hunting magazine. Hunting is what he lives for. I think he does shoot some local touries sometimes. Haven't spoken to him in a long time.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can practice all day shooting off the ground at targets at any range and it is good for practice, but there is a whole new level of challenges when shooting at live animals out in the hunt. I practice out to 60 yards in my backyard but only want 30 yard maximum shots on the hunt.

When archers target shoot most of the times they know the range of the target. You will have to judge distance on deer and that can be difficult out in the field, especially on archery shots when a 10 yard misjudment can makes a difference between a hit or miss. Rangefinders and higher velocity bows have made this easier but there are other issues. Any limb can send your arrow/bolt way off its original trajectory. Shooting uphill or downhill can offer compensation challenges. Knowing you might wound an animal and lose it should always be a consideration so stay within your own limitations.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Well, there are many factors to that question but the KEY one is do you EFFECTIVE range or actual range that you can make an arrow fly to?
Ya sorry it would be Effective range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.