Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot? >

How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far do crossbow/compound bows shoot?

Old 09-30-2015, 05:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How far they shoot, and how far can you be reasonably sure of making a good shot are two entirely things. They will shoot a whole lot further than than anyone should be shooting at a deer. Here is the answer you your question. If the distance is further than the distance you have practices at and are confident of a killing shot, don't shoot.
OK, I'm looking for how far would you shoot a deer at with either one.
Since I don't have a crossbow but am hoping to get one soon I am wanting to know how far you would shoot a deer with a crossbow/compound bow just to see what kind of deer range each one has.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both modern compound bows and crossbows are capable of lethally killing an animal out to 60-70 yards maybe even further, but you have to understand that what everyone here is saying. Your goal should be to shoot the animal lethally within your range, not the weapons range, for that, you can choose either one. The ability to shoot for most individuals beyond 30 yards accurately and consistently falls into the category of skill and experience which both need to be developed over time. You cannot just zero in a bow sight or crossbow scope and expect that to be it.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rodeo, if you are looking for a crossbow to replace your rifle for archery season, it aint gonna happen. The range of a bow or crossbow has nothing to do with how far an arrow can be effective, if you mean by effective will it kill. A reasonable person would not try to kill an animal with them at range that would not be within their confidence level. What is reasonable? As for me, it is 35 yards, I do not practice further than that and if you hunt elevated you should practice elevated. There are people who shoot further than 35 but not me and I prefer closer shots, the closer the better. I once in my much younger years while walking back to our vehicles with friends stuck an arrow in the center of an oak tree in the middle of a field at a range of over 100 yards with a bear Grizzly recurve bow, 50 lb, just to see if I could hit the tree at that range. I held in the canopy and let fly. The Gods were with me. The arrow, a wooden shaft with a bear razor head hit the tree with a resounding thunk about 4 feet from the ground. I could not pull that broad head out of the tree so it probably would have killed a deer had I been so foolish to pull a stunt like that with a deer. There is a good reason native Americans went to rifles as soon as they could lay hands on them. Bows are not long range arms and neither are crossbows. I think your question should be how far can you be effective with a bow and cross bow because they will kill further than most people are capable of making a clean humane shot. Practice, practice, practice, at various ranges from the ground from elevation at the height you stand and then you will know how effective you can be consistently, at various ranges. Only you can answer that question for yourself. Then, don't exceed your capability.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-30-2015 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:33 AM
Spike

Yes that will be my Q. How far will a crossbow effectively kill a deer and how far will a compound bow effectively kill a deer.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

You missed the entire point I was trying to make, the question should be : how far can you effectively kill a deer with either of those sporting arms? Both are able to kill a deer beyond the ability of most to do so with a reasonable degree of certainty. You need to shoot them, you need to practice and find the answer for yourself because it may well be different for others. The question you ask is analogous to asking how far will a 30-06 kill a deer. A 30-06 bullet will kill at a mile, so the question you should ask is : What is the distance that you can kill a deer with a 30-06 and be confident of the shot. And like the bow, only you can answer the question. All sporting arms are only as effective at various distances as the shooter's ability to make the shot with a degree of certainly. As some have said here, the most common thresh hold for bow hunters and crossbow hunters is 30 to 35 yards, that is where they believe their ability will result in a clean kill. Some have a shorter thresh hold and some have a longer one, depending on their ability.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rodre01
Yes that will be my Q. How far will a crossbow effectively kill a deer and how far will a compound bow effectively kill a deer.
You have missed the point. The range will vary depending individual to individual skill. Your wanting a general estimate of something no one knows. No ethical hunter has been shooting at longer ranges than he is comfortable with and wounding animals to find out what isn't an effective range. That would be sadistic.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
How far they shoot, and how far can you be reasonably sure of making a good shot are two entirely things. They will shoot a whole lot further than than anyone should be shooting at a deer. Here is the answer you your question. If the distance is further than the distance you have practices at and are confident of a killing shot, don't shoot.
And there's even more to it than that. You also have to consider the animal's reaction time and his alert status. At 50 or 60 yards, a deer might not even be there by the time the arrow arrives. I watched one show where the hunter released the arrow and the deer tuned 180* and the arrow hit the deer in the opposite side. Fortunately for the hunter it was still a killing shot.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:34 AM
Spike

As some have said here, the most common thresh hold for bow hunters and crossbow hunters is 30 to 35 yards, that is where they believe their ability will result in a clean kill.

Thats what I'm looking for. A general threshold of individual hunters since I don't have bows yet. At least what you are comfortable with.

OK, I have the 30 to 35 yards. Is that a threshold for both types of bows(in other words is there one that has been proven a greater range bow(overall) than the other?).
Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, it's not so much the bow/crossbow, as it is the archer/shooter and their ability as well as the animals reaction time. My max is 40 yards with a compound. I can reliably hit a 2 inch target at 100 yards with several of my bows but at live game I max at 40 for several reasons. The top of those reasons are penetration. I like a full clean pass through. 2nd on that list is reaction time of the animal. Whitetail are a high strung animal and can damn near duck a bullet! Since your arrow is not breaking the sound barrier (yet as they keep getting faster ) then your string noise reaches that animal before the arrow and their reflexes are so attuned they can drop below that arrow in a short amount of time. With today's compounds exceeding the 300fps mark we are beating those reflexes pretty well out to 40 yards. So, all in all, EFFECTIVE range of the equipment itself not withstanding, PERSONAL range in my opinion should be limited to 40-50 yards max for either. And that 50 is stretching it. Practice well beyond that range for confidence but limit your shots on live game to 40 and you will find much more success in the taking of game when you get a shot at them.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I feel Comfortable taking a 60 on a deer with my crossbow. Wont shoot over 40 with a compound