Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw Length

Old 09-23-2015, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Draw Length

I have a relatively new bow with a custom string on it that about month and a half old. well over 200 shots thru it. I was wondering if draw length can differ between bow brands and models? It seems like with new bow my draw length is too long.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

In an effort to get more speed in their advertisements many bow companies have started cheating on their lengths. After shooting a 27 1/2 inch length since the 80's my new bow is a 27.

-john
Old 09-23-2015, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

TEXAS HOGHUNTER, That makes sense because my old bow was 27.5 " draw length and now I was thinking I should shorten it to 27.

Thanks
croc2116
Old 09-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The new short ata bows certainly change the string angle which can change you proper draw length.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

It definitely can. There are a bunch of factors that affect draw length from one bow to another. On my Mathews MR8, the draw length even changes when you make draw weight adjustments. Thats why, when I set up a new bow, I usually use my measured draw length as a starting point. Then I'll take some time to shoot it and make any adjustments necessary. I don't mess with tuning or sighting in until I'm comfortable with draw length.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:53 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

NEVER trust the DL on the bow's label! Check it yourself. I've been burned several times when a new bow's DL was a full inch longer than labeled.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ha, I didn't know about draw length

I was getting back into archery after some years. Had no idea my growth had put me at the last size available. And since I wasn't sure I'd shoot for long, I told the associate I was looking for an inexpensive type compound bow. Did he have one. It not only fit my ham hock of a hand, it fit perfectly. And the draw length fit on my practice range.
It was some years later, when I looked for a new bow, I found that a 30 inch draw length was hitting the end size of the available bows then.
Reminds me of getting the last size available in a hiking shoe. Save a lot of money on those sale shoes. Sure did.
I sure learned being on the right side of the CUSP.

Last edited by Valentine; 11-11-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Spike

Go to your local shop and get them to remeasure your draw length. Then get them to put your bow on a draw board to check its actual draw length.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 31" draw length and that leaves out a lot of bow models, forcing me to choose longer draw length models that are usually lower performance compared to flagship bows. I'm sure glad Mathews offers a 31" bow! Mission don't even offer a bow with longer draw length over 30".
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Different length string loop can also factor in.

Your draw length is your draw length.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service