Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ever heard of this >

ever heard of this

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever heard of this

Old 10-12-2003, 03:51 PM

Default ever heard of this

i was out practicing today and i shot maybe 50 times and shot once more and my stabilizer broke off and the screw is still in there any suggestions on how it happend or how to get the bolt out?
Old 10-12-2003, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ever heard of this

Find a friendly neighborhood mechanic or machinist with an EZ-Out tool and he can get it right out for you. Normal charge for such work is a 6-pack. Somewhat more expensive on the wallet at a shop.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:00 PM

I can' t say what happened to cause the stabilizer to break off but as for removing the bolt you need a tool called an E-Z out. It' s kind of a reverse threaded screw which is tappered . all u do is drill a small hole in the bolt and thread this tool into the hole u drilled and it will lock and remove the broken bolt.

I hope this helps,
Old 10-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, take it to a local mechanic or maintenance mechanic. They would drill a small hole in the center of the broken piece and remove with an easy out. If the break isn' t clean and it has a lip on the broken stud, have somebody hold the bow for you. Take a small punch or screwdriver and line it up on the broken lip and tap gently with a hammer to unscrew the stud(counterclockwise). If you do this its important to do it gently so you don' t mess up the threads or your bows riser.
Also you could try to drill a small hole in the center of the broken stud with the drill in reverse. Sometimes the bit will grab and unscrew the stud. Again be careful because the drill bit may want to wander and do damage to the riser.
Good Luck
Dan
Old 10-12-2003, 08:28 PM

What i cant get is that i took a practice shot and it just hit the ground i dont remeber droping my bow on ne thing or snagging it but it just hit the ground when i took a shot. BEATS ME[>:]
Old 10-12-2003, 08:45 PM

Sounds like you will have to drill it out.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

6pt, That' s not all that common, but not at all unheard of. Happened to me just last year with one of those Simms Stabilizer Enhancers. Very first shot I took with the thing mounted on the bow, the piece of junk snapped off.

The dealer replaced it and I shot with it for a month or so, but I decided I was just as well off without it. It' s been gathering dust in the junk drawer ever since.