Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how far will you shoot >

how far will you shoot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how far will you shoot

Old 10-12-2003, 02:22 PM

Default how far will you shoot

How far will you shoot at a deer with your bow? ill take a 35-40 yd shot just want to know yalls opinon?[:-]
Old 10-12-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: how far will you shoot

I feel comfortable with a 30 to 40 yard shot. However, any further than 40 yards I feel that there is too much room for outside error such as wind and down or up hill adjustments. Between 20 to 30 yards I not only feel comfortable (which helps to make my shots very accurate) but I also can count on a clean pass through. Which I don' t feel as confident in a longer shot. Also, I like the challenge of getting as close to the game as possible. I' m sure longer shots have been done for example: Howard Hill shot and killed an Elephant with a recurve at over 100 yards. No sight, no compund, no release, just a pure traditional kill!!!! (check out the book Hit Em' Like Howard Hill) So, I know it can be done. But lets face it were not all Howard Hill now are we. lol

Old 10-12-2003, 02:54 PM

well i wish i was howard hill id be deadly with the ol' martin
Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

No more than 30 yds. for me.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same with me, Coolbrze0.... Yesterday I went out to a quiet wooded business developement with my old PSE Edge 1000 bow to try some LOOOOOOOONG distance shots at the white bag target with 5 bullseyes on it.

I took advice from other threads and adjusted my Tru-Glo 3 pin sights to now be 20-30-40 (I just moved the whole sight assembly so now it' s lengthened by 10 yards), and rechecked everything and tweaked everything with the allen wrenches.

See, I had a big 30' tape measure with me and measured it all the way out (10 yards) and marked it with a stick. From that point I went another 10 yards, marked it with a stick, etc..etc..etc... Until I had the yardage measurements resembling a football field.

20 yards is easy. 30 yards is harder, but do-able. When I stepped back to 40 yards, I was like, " Whoaaaaa..... this is way out there!" I was off a bit but hit 2 of the 5 bullseyes. I got a little nutty (translation: Stupid) [&:] afterwards and though, what if I try a really long shot where I can' t even use my pins and just " guesstimate" where I should line up. I paced out to 50 yards and tried taking a shot. Thank God I used my well used XX-75 arrow, because I sailed it right over the top of the target only to have it go to " destination unknown" . It disappeared! I looked and walked back and forth through the grass, and I think it slipped way down deep in the grass and disappeared. Oh well.

Anyway a long story short... my most comfortable shot is 30 yards. I don' t have the confidence to do a really good 40 yard shots yet.

Butch
Old 10-13-2003, 07:28 AM

25 yards on a deer. 30 yards in my backyard.