Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Neck Shot - Ethical? >

Neck Shot - Ethical?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Neck Shot - Ethical?

Old 10-11-2003, 05:24 PM

Default RE: Neck Shot - Ethical?

Imo, ' killing a deer' is not some rite of passage to becoming a man, or woman. I have some heros that don' t even hunt but they are true heros to me. I can understand ' buck fever' to some degree but to take the neck shot because that was all that was available sounds like it was more ' do or die' for the hunter to become a MAN than to harvest a deer. I would indeed pass on a world class buck before taking that shot. To see the deer clearly enough to determine that he is world class is a memory that can never be erased and to me even better than a mount. If you cannot respect the living creature you are there to harvest then you do not belong there. I agree with bigbulls, I can' t and won' t tell you which shot you can or can' t take. But as a land owner if I ever hear of you taking a deer with an intentional neck shot you won' t hunt my land again.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Im with Bigbulls on this one.

ORIGINAL: bogobble

Am I the only one here at BBS that' s goin to be honest about this?
Gaturkhunter, has admitted how excited his brother got, and this was only a doe.
and NO one, has the right to tell another hunter what shot to take or not take.
the decesion is strictly up to the hunter.
I think we DO have a right to tell hunters. If a hunter isnt doing the right thing then this represents ALL of us. If you cant help and educate a fellow hunter on proper shot placement then what can you do to help the image of hunting??

Are you telling me if you knew a hunter that was flinging arrows and wounding 9 out of 10 that you would not say anything???
Old 10-11-2003, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Bogobble: then don' t hunt with me. If I think you' ve screwed up I' ll tell you so. If I think something is risky or down right stupid, I think I have every right or maybe the responsibility to tell the person how I feel. He can do with the advice what he wants. But in the mean time, I reserve the right to be a pain in the butt.[:-]
Old 10-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Typical Buck

Are you telling me if you knew a hunter that was flinging arrows and wounding 9 out of 10 that you would not say anything???
man, are you waaay out in left field. did I say that? don' t think so.

Bogobble: then don' t hunt with me. If I think you' ve screwed up I' ll tell you so. If I think something is risky or down right stupid, I think I have every right or maybe the responsibility to tell the person how I feel. He can do with the advice what he wants. But in the mean time, I reserve the right to be a pain in the butt
you don' t have to worry about me huntin with you. would never happen. I hunt alone, and that;s the way I like it. and no, you do NOT have the right, nor is it your responsibillity to tell me what shot to take. that' s my decesion and mine alone thank ya very much!

Old 10-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

man, are you waaay out in left field. did I say that? don' t think so
Am I??

and NO one, has the right to tell another hunter what shot to take or not take.
the decesion is strictly up to the hunter.
IMO, your out there for all the wrong reasons. And your right, nobody will be out there to tell you what shot to take or not to take when your hunting. But, YOUR the one that has to live with marginal shot when it becomes a bad shot..............

But, from reading your replys you can care less............

Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 PM

AND WHAT DOES ETHICAL MEAN?
Old 10-12-2003, 04:37 PM

Don' t be too hard on your brother, just explain that the neck shot is a low persentage shot and should be avoided in the future. I myself am a very good shot if I say so myself. I also know what happens when an animal your shooting at string jumps and the fact that you can' t even begin to guess which way it might go. I have shot a deer through the neck by accident and never found it. I hoped it would be like I' ve heard about all those stories of neck shots killing quick, not so. Please avoid a neck shot at all costs, not only can you wound an animal without killing it but you won' t feel to good either.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

bottom line is, I' m the only one here that has the guts to be honest about the shots I would take. the majority of you " responsible" bowhunters are just goin with the flow, and are just to dang spineless to admit that your not as " ethical" or responsible" as the rest of these guys say they are. I know dang well, I ain' t the only one on this board that would take a " marginal shot, just the only one with guts enough to admit it!
Sounds to me that you are the only one here that does not appreciate and respect the animals that you hunt enough to take a good solid high percentage shot. Crap happens enough as it is on the broad side shots and to take a shot that before you even release the arrow has a low chance of making a quick, clean kill and a high chance of just wounding the animal is just plain stupid and irresponsible.

We all make mistakes and if we hunt long enough we will all end up wounding an animal but we should all try our best to minimise that wounding and if you are taking " marginal" shots on purpose just because that' s all you had then I hope you stay far out of my neck of the woods.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO WAY. He should have waited for a better shot. Wounding an animal just because it was the only shot he had is never an acceptable excuse. Those are the type of words that give PETA and the anti' s there ammo
Old 10-12-2003, 09:56 PM

you have to be very careful of where you shoot...if you pass on a shot like that someday a better shot will present itself and when you get the kill you won' t have any regrets

Quick Reply: Neck Shot - Ethical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.