Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bad News!!! I fell from my tree stand. >

Bad News!!! I fell from my tree stand.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad News!!! I fell from my tree stand.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bad News!!! I fell from my tree stand.

Guys, I have some bad news. Last night the stand I went to has been in the tree for like 18 years. It has been one of my best spots ever. This summer I had contemplated changing it but I never got around to it. I climbed up into the stand, 22 feet, and tested it. It seemed ok. I started to adjust the seat a little bit and the platform snapped. Needless to say I went straight down 22 feet and landed on my right hip and right shoulder. They aren't broke, but I am in extreme pain and can hardly move. I do have a fractured sacrum, (tail bone). I may not be able to hunt for a couple weeks. This really sucks cause it was the first day of my three week vacation and it's in prime time. Believe me, I will do everything in my power to get back out as soon as possible. In the mean time I hope you all have SAFE hunts and successful ones. I will keep you all updated on my situation and will be monitoring the success of everyone else. Good luck!!!!! Shoot a big one for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I am super glad you are okay but you know it's coming.

What where you thinking? 18 yrs. same stand and ithat stand is left in the tree?
And no Safety Harness......I teach using 3 points of contact going up - immediately tether yourself to the tree before you do anything else. That is what I teach in all my Hunter Education classes. And then we practice it!
That Safety Harness would have prevented your fall. And Safety Harnesses should be replaced every 3 to 5 yrs.
Next time you may not be so lucky!

But I like said I sure am glad you are Okay!

JW

And Ps
We don't want to loose you!

Last edited by JW; 10-28-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that really sucks. Get well soon.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I do know. It's my own fault. Most tree stand accident's could be avoided if people would just take proper precautions. Don't be a statistic like I was. I know how bad it cold have been. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear your OK, not glad you lived up to your screen name. Get well soon.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

So glad your ok. Take care.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear that bud. Prayers sent. Happy you're doing ok! Hopefully the pain will stop and you can get back out in the woods!
Old 10-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Spike

Glad you are okay. I had an experience today very similar. I went out in my kayake to sit on an island watching a sandbar I have been very succesful with this year (ducks and geese) the water was high but I have been fine many times before as long as I keep pointed into in the current. I misjudged the current today, it grabbed me and flipped the kayake. I ended up under water and moving fast. Somehow I came up not far from the kayake, grabbed it and held on, something hit my leg so I reached down thinking it was the paddle..it was my shotgun...ended up struggling to shore with an upside down kayake and shotgun. I have read stories about guys drowning while duck hunting but never understood how it could happen...I now know...complaceny is dangerous...didn't wear a life jacket...same as not wearing a safety harness...big mistake on my part, will not make it again.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, glad to hear it wasn't any worse than it is. Very lucky. You might want to consider changing your avitar/handle
Old 10-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think the name is even more appropriate now. Again, glad you are Ok.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.