Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do

Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Spike

If ground hunting, make sure you clear out the leaf litter, twigs, etc where your standing. This will provide a near silent pad to allow you to move (slowly) on.

Hunting the wind is crucial. Get a windchecker app on your smartphone (I use one by Primos). Also helpful is a talcum powder squeeze bottle to visually check where your stink is blowing.

Plan your movements so your not stomping out the paths deer will be taking and move silently as possible enroute to the spot you will be hunting.

While in your stand, conserve your movements and if you have to move, make it slow. The deer will see you before you see them if you don't control every movement. Even scratching your nose, or turning your head to scan the area should be slow and methodical. Have fun with it, go back to the days when you were a boy in the woods and pretending you were GI Joe stalking Cobra.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Spike

Once set up in your spot/stand, put your rifle/bow in a position that enables you to swing into shooting position with as little movement as possible. Nothing is more nerve racking than getting spotted by the deer because you moved to much to swing your bow/rifle into shooting position. Also, as soon as you get set up in the stand, practice swinging it into position a half dozen times so you don't overthink it when you see a buck
Old 10-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Spike

Know that hunting isn't merely about the killshot. It's about developing and always improving the skillset needed to go into another animal's world, scout it, pattern it, predict it, outsmart it, stalk it, kill it, shoot it, process it, cook it and eat it.

For me, the more I get into the primal aspect of hunting, the more I enjoy the hunt. I get into my head as much as I did when I was a kid in my backyard pretending to be Rambo or GI Joe. Sounds a little looney, yes I know. But it's too much fun to care about what other's may think, lol
Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Its late to go scouting now, stop at a gun shop or retail store start talking to folks, they will help you out and give you some ideas.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Scouting never really ends, a deers habits and movements will change throughout the year.