Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Bedding Area Question????? >

Bedding Area Question?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bedding Area Question?????

Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bedding Area Question?????

I have a couple stands on the edge of a large bedding area. I was wondering if this time of year will a dominant buck allow other bucks to bed in the same area he does? I was hunting there Thursday evening and had a nice buck 120"-130" walk out of the bedding area. Then just when it was about dark the big boy I am after walks out but I didn't have enough light so I let him walk.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
I have a couple stands on the edge of a large bedding area. I was wondering if this time of year will a dominant buck allow other bucks to bed in the same area he does? I was hunting there Thursday evening and had a nice buck 120"-130" walk out of the bedding area. Then just when it was about dark the big boy I am after walks out but I didn't have enough light so I let him walk.
Didn't you just answer your own question?

The answer is yes. Not only will they let them but it is likely you will find them together this time of year.

They may even both bed there during the rut. The big boys don't go looking for fights. Once the doe(s) get hot he will hold the bucks off just enough to do his business. Now if another big boy wonders in it might be on.

Your smaller buck will often shadow your dominant buck at a safe distance with a hot doe around and your big boy will be content with that and just look him away if he gets to close. You might even find a parade of smaller bucks shadowing a big boy and a hot doe.

Last edited by rockport; 10-09-2014 at 10:44 PM.