Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scorpion XP or Spitfire or Shockwave... >

Scorpion XP or Spitfire or Shockwave...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scorpion XP or Spitfire or Shockwave...

Old 10-06-2003, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scorpion XP or Spitfire or Shockwave...

As season approaches I' ve been thinking about trying a differnt broadhead....possibly a Scorpion XP or Spitfire....I have a couple Shockwaves left, and don' t know if I want to shoot them again or change up with something new......

I shoot a Brute Force, 70lbs, and 260+ fps.

Old 10-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scorpion XP or Spitfire or Shockwave...

Assuming your setup produces at least 55 ft/lbs of Ke I would personal choose the scorpions, shockwaves then spitfires. In that order. I was really impressed with both the Scorpions and shockwaves when i tested them.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:44 AM

I' ve been shooting shockwaves the past couple of years, and tried the sorpion this year. Last week I shot a deer and noticed something odd. The entrance hole with the scorpion was very tiny. I always got large entrance holes with the shockwaves, even larger than the open blade diameter, but with the scorpion, it was a litte less than the open blade diameter. I' m thinking maybe the blade on the front blows through quicker than the chisel point of the shockwave, and doesn' t " stretch" the hide, allowing a bigger hole like the shockwave does? Just wondered if anybody else noticed this. No other complaints, pass through, broke ribs on both sides, and clipped right through the edge of the shoulder blade going out, no damage at all to the head. Blades weren' t even bent. Further testing is in order. [
Old 10-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a doe Sat. w/ a 100 gr. Spitfire and the entrance hole mimicked the broadhead: one hole w/ the 3 blades going in, but the exit hole was MUCH larger. It was a 15 yd. very slightly quartering away shot and she only ran 25 yards max. I have been extremely happy w/ the Spitfire' s performance. Every deer I have taken w/ the Spitfires (4 deer in the last 2 years) have had complete pass throughs. Granted, the furthest shot was 25 yards, and all shots have been broadside or nearly broadside.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:43 AM

For the last 5 years I' ve used nothing but Spitfires(100' s),and the Shockwaves(85' s).I' m staying with the Shockwaves,they give a large entrance and exit hole,very brutal..Bob
Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 AM

I shot a buck last friday with a Rocky Mountain Gator XP. The entrance wound was unreal about a 3 1/2 incision. I looked like the deer was stabbed with a hunting knife. The arrow completely passed thru the deer and stuck in the ground on the other side. I am shooting 290 fps w/ 72 KE. I had a buddy shoot a doe with a spitfire last weekend, he got horrible penetration and one blade did not open. He lost the deer.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first joined the forums a couple years ago I had read something about shockwaves and how they passed your approval 5 Shot, and that' s why I originally bought them. And if you reccomend the Scorpion' s, I figure my next trip to the Bow Shop will see me leaving with a set of XP' s for the upcoming season.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:53 PM

i shoot spitfires 100 gr. entrance wound isn' t unusual but the exit wound is incredible. last deer i shot it left a hole i could stick my fist in. i told my wife if you are going to shoot me use a gun not a bow.[:-]
Old 10-19-2003, 06:12 PM

Scorpions don' t look bad. You can get the Shockwaves now for $12 @ autumnchaseonline.com. I' d save $8 on a proven performer though.

Quick Reply: Scorpion XP or Spitfire or Shockwave...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.