Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 losing deer/pass through?????? >

losing deer/pass through??????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

losing deer/pass through??????

Old 10-05-2003, 03:58 PM

Default losing deer/pass through??????

HELP!!! I have shot two deer within the past two weeks - 1 doe and 1 buck that scores in the 130 rage. Complete pass throughs in the vital area on both. One hit high, the other one hit low. Using one with a Rocky Titanium 100 and the other with a Thunder Head 100. Shotting a Matthews LX 70 pound and using 29 inch 5575 gold tip arrow. Very little blood trail and loosing blood before loosing deer. I am thinking of switching to a mechanical broad head--Possibly the spitfire 100 grain. Also considering the new Scorpion Mechanical by New Archery Products for reasons of cutting diameter on the exit wound. Any suggestions, ideas, or comments about larger entry and exit wounds would be greatly appreciated.

FRUSTRATED WISCONSIN BOWHUNTER
Old 10-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: losing deer/pass through??????

When you switch blades to you retune the bow????? How can you be sure you hit both in the vitals?? I know from 55 years of hunting it is not that easy to really see sometimes where you hit. There seems to a problem somewhere,but I wouldn' t know for sure,not being there. I use thunderheads for years and never had a problem with them not bleeding on a tyoical good hit.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:19 PM

When I switch from the rockys to the thunderheads I had to move my sites down because they were shooting a little high. Otherwise, the bow setup was too fine. It shot identical to my field points.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It' s hard to blame the broadheads, they are doing thier jobs obviously if they are getting complete pass throughs. I' d have to question the hit or the ability to track blood, if you truely did hit the vitals on both of them! Mech. heads only give ya a little more cutting dia., that might help some, but fixed head through the boiler, can' t get much better than that! Was it raining, and how far until ya lost blood? Did ya do a grid search?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:31 PM

well if you were hitting high you should of moved the sites high you shot under them A foot.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Curious how much time you gave them to expire. Even on the appearance of a good shot, give them time to die. Very often they run fast 75 to 125 yards and will stop lie down and die. If you track them soon after the shot, you interupt this and they get up and move on leaving almost no blood trial.

Good Luck!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

A deer shot through the heart/lung area with a Rocky Ti or a Thunderhead will die just as dead as one shot with the largested expandable on earth. I have to believe that the hits were not as good as you think.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:53 AM

If you switch to mechanicals I would consider the RM Gators. I shot a 8 point at 20 yards at dusk friday night with my Bowtech Extreme VFT 290fps. The blades on the back of the broadhead open before they enter the deer. The buck went 50 yards and expired. Complete pass thru and the arrow was sticking in the gound 6 inches when I found it. The deer had a 4 inch incision where the arrow impacted when it went thru. The Rocky Mountan Snypers and Gators in IMHO are the best mechanicals on the market!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A deer shot through the heart/lung area with a Rocky Ti or a Thunderhead will die just as dead as one shot with the largested expandable on earth. I have to believe that the hits were not as good as you think.
Exactly. Either your shots weren' t where you think they were, or you need to go back and keep looking. Boiler room shots result in a kill with 100yds probably 95% of the time. Switching to mech heads definitely won' t help your situation. I' d be back out looking until I found them. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

snortweez if you are sure of your shot placement then you really need to read the thread " What to do after the shot" which is one of the topics pinned at the top of page, you owe it to both your self and the deer.

Quick Reply: losing deer/pass through??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.