Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to use for Target? >

What to use for Target?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to use for Target?

Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Spike

Default What to use for Target?

1st let me say thank you for all your help in my previous post about a great starter bow for my 6 (soon to be 7) year old. After reading your advice and many reviews online, I think I'm going to go with the Barnett Outdoors Lil Banshee Jr. Compound Archery Set.

As for me, I think I'm going to hold off and see how much interest he shows in shooting his bow and arrow before I fork over the money (which seems to be $230+ for a decent quality adult bow) for me one.

We have a nice area (about 30 yards) in our back yard where he will be able to shoot (has woods behind it and houses nowhere close).

What should I set up as a target for him? ie: a small hay bale with a colorful target pinned to it, a large box with a target painted on it, or maybe something like this...http://www.cabelas.com/product/The-B...et/1414295.uts

Here is the bow and arrow set I plan on getting him: http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/prod...nd-archery-set

Other than several more arrows, is there anything else I need to purchase in order to get him started and excited about the sport?

Thank you again for all your help and advice.

TripleB
Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get a good bale of hay that is tight, it will stop the arrows. You can also get targets at places like walmart, that will stop a kids bow for pretty cheap.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

agree with bob, for that size bow the arrows would not be traveling fast or have enough kinetic energy to bed an expensive target. I think walmarts price on dense foam targets is around twenty bucks and should last well into summer, depends on how much shooting you do on it.
when u are adjusting the sights start at a close distance. 5-10 yards this will help prevent lost arrows on those first shots while getting sighted in (which can get expensive) once your young shooter is comfortably hitting close to the center move it back to twenty yards.
any info on adjusting sights and sight pins can easily be found on YouTube,
a good tip would be get some bowstring wax, it will help keep the string from fraying I would search for videos on that too. Just keeps your bow nice.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Oh and a release!
Not necessary but makes it easier to get into shooting.
a youth caliper style release aid should do the trick
Just under ten bucks at walmart.
They probably don't have too much bow stuff in stock this late In season.
Site to store? it would be the cheapest route