Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
1st Bow Recommendations for my 6 Year Old and Myself? >

1st Bow Recommendations for my 6 Year Old and Myself?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st Bow Recommendations for my 6 Year Old and Myself?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Spike

Default 1st Bow Recommendations for my 6 Year Old and Myself?

My son is currently 6 and going to be 7 in March. He was reading (which he loves to do) last night so I turned on the TV and left it at Real Tree Monster Buck and he was just engrossed by the show. I asked him if he would want to learn to shoot a bow and arrow and his eyes lit up and he said "YEAH!!!"

I grew up with a shotgun (never a bow or arrows) in my hand, mostly hunting dove, rabbit, and squirrel.

I'm looking for some advice on what might be a half-way decent 'starter' bow and arrows set for him and possibly a set for me as well (thought it might be nice to learn the sport together).

As far as one for him, I've seen the Barnett Outdoors Junior Team Realtree Lil Banshee Compound Archery Set for $30 and it gets great reviews. But to be honest, I have no clue as to what I should be looking for (for him or myself)...so I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

As for me, I really haven't taken much of a look but it seems everything is over $200 and a great deal more for something with great reviews. Really can't afford to put like $200+ into a bow at this point but would love to learn the sport with my son. I don't want to put much money into it (in case it just a passing phase), but I don't want to get something that will break within the first 10 times of using it either. Any recommendations?

Maybe matching Lil Banshee sets for both of us

What other items are 'essential' (again, not wanting to spend much more than I have to)?

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice you can give.

TripleB
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TripleB
My son is currently 6 and going to be 7 in March. He was reading (which he loves to do) last night so I turned on the TV and left it at Real Tree Monster Buck and he was just engrossed by the show. I asked him if he would want to learn to shoot a bow and arrow and his eyes lit up and he said "YEAH!!!"

I grew up with a shotgun (never a bow or arrows) in my hand, mostly hunting dove, rabbit, and squirrel.

I'm looking for some advice on what might be a half-way decent 'starter' bow and arrows set for him and possibly a set for me as well (thought it might be nice to learn the sport together).

As far as one for him, I've seen the Barnett Outdoors Junior Team Realtree Lil Banshee Compound Archery Set for $30 and it gets great reviews. But to be honest, I have no clue as to what I should be looking for (for him or myself)...so I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

As for me, I really haven't taken much of a look but it seems everything is over $200 and a great deal more for something with great reviews. Really can't afford to put like $200+ into a bow at this point but would love to learn the sport with my son. I don't want to put much money into it (in case it just a passing phase), but I don't want to get something that will break within the first 10 times of using it either. Any recommendations?

Maybe matching Lil Banshee sets for both of us

What other items are 'essential' (again, not wanting to spend much more than I have to)?

I would greatly appreciate any help and advice you can give.

TripleB
I'm going to yield to the experts on the kids stuff because I have no clue.

As to you I have been where you have been some 25 years ago. I just walked into a pawn shop and bought a Bear whitetail bow they had on the wall set up with whatever arrows it had and went and hunted with it. Somehow I managed to kill deer with it. I missed a Heck of a bunch to I must admit.

That is not the model you want to follow.

What I would suggest is going to a local archery shop and first establishing what your draw length is. VERY IMPORTANT. Spend some time shooting some bows there and getting a idea what it is you want out of a bow.

There are not a heck of a lot of new bows out there set up and ready to go in the $200 class but if you jump up to $350 you can get a very nice starter bow new.

Used you can get a very nice bow for around $150 fully set up but be careful and buy from a reputable shop or dealer. NOT a pawn shop? I can spot a good deal on a bow and know what to look for on craigslist and such but to be honest I. Am not sure you are qualified to do so ..so be careful if you go that route.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 AM
Fork Horn

This bow has a expandable range of pull and is priced at $229. Killer deal but ck to see if 27 is long enough for you. It's perfect. For me

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104693580
Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

As for 6yr olds? Yes, a cheaper store bought is fine. I started my daughter out (7yr now 8) on a cheap one then at 8, I bought her a Mission Menace and she is only at 20lb. Draw weight. But she does ok.

Last edited by Rob1969; 02-06-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason

That is not the model you want to follow.

What I would suggest is going to a local archery shop and first establishing what your draw length is. VERY IMPORTANT. Spend some time shooting some bows there and getting a idea what it is you want out of a bow.

There are not a heck of a lot of new bows out there set up and ready to go in the $200 class but if you jump up to $350 you can get a very nice starter bow new.

Used you can get a very nice bow for around $150 fully set up but be careful and buy from a reputable shop or dealer. NOT a pawn shop? I can spot a good deal on a bow and know what to look for on craigslist and such but to be honest I. Am not sure you are qualified to do so ..so be careful if you go that route.

Good luck!
Definitely won't be going to a pawn shop. We have a local shop not more than 10 minutes away so I'll make sure to go there for advice.

I really hate to hear there is nothing under the $200 mark...with a 17 year old daughter (going to college next year) and a 6 year old son (who tries every sport...this past year - soccer, lacrosse, tennis, basketball, baseball, and now bows)...money is extremely tight.

Yea, don't think I'm in a position to find a 'quality' used one.

Originally Posted by Rob1969
As for 6yr olds? Yes, a cheaper store bought is fine. I started my daughter out (7yr now 8) on a cheap one then at 8, I bought her a Mission Menace and she is only at 20lb. Draw weight. But she does ok.
Sweet...sounds like the $30 one might be worth investing in. I think he will love it. A local sports store has the one I mentioned so I'll take him by this weekend and see what he thinks.

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
This bow has a expandable range of pull and is priced at $229. Killer deal but ck to see if 27 is long enough for you. It's perfect. For me

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104693580
Thanks for the link.

We have about 150 foot open space in the backyard with woods behind it. Is this a large enough open space for us to use? And, what do I need to get for us to aim for which shooting?

I appreciate all the help so far!!!

TripleB
Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

first off bowhunting is an expensive sport. it is very hard to get by without spendin some money. i shoot a 600 dollar botech and i really love it. but my dad shoots an old pearson that he bought at a grage sale 15 years ago for 40 dollars and has killed more deer than me. my best advice for you would be to look around at pawn shops and on ebay, i bought my first bow from a pawn shop and my brother buys all his off ebay and has always got good deals. and for your son i would get him the Mathews mission menace. that is the best bow for a young kid that i could think of. just don't do what i did and go to basspro to "look" at bows and come home with a 600 dollar one.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Definitely won't be going to a pawn shop. We have a local shop not more than 10 minutes away so I'll make sure to go there for advice.

I really hate to hear there is nothing under the $200 mark...with a 17 year old daughter (going to college next year) and a 6 year old son (who tries every sport...this past year - soccer, lacrosse, tennis, basketball, baseball, and now bows)...money is extremely tight.

Yea, don't think I'm in a position to find a 'quality' used one.

Sweet...sounds like the $30 one might be worth investing in. I think he will love it. A local sports store has the one I mentioned so I'll take him by this weekend and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the link.

We have about 150 foot open space in the backyard with woods behind it. Is this a large enough open space for us to use? And, what do I need to get for us to aim for which shooting?

I appreciate all the help so far!!!

TripleB
The bow above has everything you need. Sights, rest and a quiver to hold your arrows. It's what you call ready aim kill.

As far as additional stuff your going to need.

The short list

6 arrows with practice tips appopriate weight
A target
A mechanical release
Armband

That should get you started.

The above bow can also be taken down to kids size too! It goes down to a really short draw for kids and really low poundage. If you find he is not interested in it you can just bump up the poundage and draw length to your standards provided you can shoot up to a 27 inch draw length.

The only way you will know your draw length is to get measured and fitted initially!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Spike

One thing I should have asked at the very start:

For my son (soon to be 7), should I be looking at compound bows or, what I would call, a standard bow?

Again, thank you for all the help.

TripleB
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

For my son (soon to be 7), should I be looking at compound bows or, what I would call, a standard bow?

TripleB
it depends on how much your son can pull back. the Matthews mission menace that i mentioned in my above post has a wide range of weights. and a lot of compnies make compound nowdays that do the same. but if he has a hard time pulling one back then a recurve bow is not a bad way to go.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

TripleB
The nice thing about compound bows is they are adjustable for weight pull. The one I mentioned above I think you can set down as low as 15lbs.

Then with a compund bow you have something called let off. Its a huge advantage over a standard bow.

When a bow is pulled back the amount of weight being pulled back is reduced or "let off" by the percentage the bow is capable of. In most cases its 60% to 80%.

So in other words when you or your son pulls it back you are not holding the full amount of poundage you are pulling from the start.

This can be extreamly advantagous for hunting where you might have to hold the bow back several minutes for the deer to get into a shot. Many hunters will draw a bow back the moment a deer approaches and not release the arrow until the the deer walks into range or walks out of range. At which time they either shoot or walk the arrow back down to rest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.