Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Have problems grouping >

Have problems grouping

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have problems grouping

Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default Have problems grouping

As much as I try I cannot get a good grouping, one shot I can hit the bulls eye at 10yrds and the next shot could me 6" off... I have a lite grip with a wrist sling, I'm shooting 50# and 28" draw. I'm 5'7 140lb if that helps, what do I doo
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

It could be numerous things....are your sights correct...is you release point the same every time...is your arrow rest lined up correctly....there are many things....I would go over my bow again and make sure that everything is where it needs to be...it could also be you just need to keep practicing...I have been bow hunting for 20+ years now, and I shoot all the time to stay sharp...
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Spike

I think it could be my fallow up shots, I have yet to sight in my scope properly, I've just gotten it a week ago and only shoot a few at a time to let my mustles rest.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, like DB said, it could be any number of things. Without knowing all of the specifics, I will say that going throught the EXACT SAME STEPS with EVERY SHOT, EVERY TIME, is critical. Is it possible you're experiencing "target panic"/flinching?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by early in
Yes, like DB said, it could be any number of things. Without knowing all of the specifics, I will say that going throught the EXACT SAME STEPS with EVERY SHOT, EVERY TIME, is critical. Is it possible you're experiencing "target panic"/flinching?
Well I have yet to hunt, I could be? Could that be throwing off my ACC? I can usually get withing inchs of a bulls eye, but the grouping is off.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm talking about practice, not hunting. You describe the specks for a compound bow, then go on to mention using a scope? I'm lost.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by early in
I'm talking about practice, not hunting. You describe the specks for a compound bow, then go on to mention using a scope? I'm lost.
Meant sight sorry lol!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 AM
Spike

Go to an archery place and get your draw length measured. It could be that you arent coming back to the same anchor point every time because you draw could to be too long for you. Also follow through on your shot, keep your bow up and dont watch the arrow. The biggest thing is getting the bow fitted to you.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post a video and we can give MUCH better advice.

Until then, here are my thoughts:

28" is probably too long for you. Height in inches, divided by 2.5 is the 'rule of thumb' for draw length. You should be in the 26.5-27" ballpark.

Are you shooting with a release? Finger shooting a compound bow is a disaster. I grew up shooting recurve bows, then tried fingers when I bought a compound, terrible groups. An expert archer at my local range loaned me a release one day, my groups went from 6-8" at 20yrds to breaking 2 arrows in 5 shots. LITERALLY in the first group I shot with the release.

Is you bow (cam/idler, nock point, rest, tiller) properly tuned by someone that knows how to tune one? If you have erratic arrow flight, there's no shooting technique you can do to make them fly straight.

Are you focusing on the shot properly? There are different techniques for aiming, so choose the one you like, and practice it.

Are you coming back to a consistent anchor point with your shooting hand?

Are you holding hard against the backwall and releasing with your BACK instead of your arm?

Are you punching the trigger, flinching?

Are you dropping your bow to watch the impact?

Are you using a peep sight? Is it set for the right height for you?

Are you arrows properly spined for your bow?

What hand/wrist position are you using (high wrist or heeling?)? Are you closing your hand around the riser, or relaxing your fingers?

Lots of scattered thought questions there, but all of them come into play.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Post a video and we can give MUCH better advice.

Until then, here are my thoughts:

28" is probably too long for you. Height in inches, divided by 2.5 is the 'rule of thumb' for draw length. You should be in the 26.5-27" ballpark.

Are you shooting with a release? Finger shooting a compound bow is a disaster. I grew up shooting recurve bows, then tried fingers when I bought a compound, terrible groups. An expert archer at my local range loaned me a release one day, my groups went from 6-8" at 20yrds to breaking 2 arrows in 5 shots. LITERALLY in the first group I shot with the release.

Is you bow (cam/idler, nock point, rest, tiller) properly tuned by someone that knows how to tune one? If you have erratic arrow flight, there's no shooting technique you can do to make them fly straight.

Are you focusing on the shot properly? There are different techniques for aiming, so choose the one you like, and practice it.

Are you coming back to a consistent anchor point with your shooting hand?

Are you holding hard against the backwall and releasing with your BACK instead of your arm?

Are you punching the trigger, flinching?

Are you dropping your bow to watch the impact?

Are you using a peep sight? Is it set for the right height for you?

Are you arrows properly spined for your bow?

What hand/wrist position are you using (high wrist or heeling?)? Are you closing your hand around the riser, or relaxing your fingers?

Lots of scattered thought questions there, but all of them come into play.

Yea I have a release, and I cant find a RSH5 to cut down my draw length but I'm trying to find one. I brought it to a archery shop to have them look it over, they said everything seem fine, he replaced my peep sight but other then that he said there were no problems.

For my ancor point, I think I am but I never really focused on that, when I shoot after work I'll see my shooting patern.

I'm not pinching no, I'm tapping the trigger, Problem? and I might be flinching since the string is on my cheak and next to my eye, not used to it.

Dropping the bow? I actually think yes.

Peep sight, Yes I am, I just had the replace the old rubber peice.

the arrows I bought from the archery shop are the ones he said I should use. There Aluminum, he said I had to use them due to my whisker bisqute.

Usually I lightly grasp the bow, and use my wrist sling do most of the work, could that be causing to much sway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.