Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does being serviced >

Does being serviced

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does being serviced

Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Does being serviced

Does a doe only get mated once in a season, or does it happen repetedly? In other words, will she allow a second buck to mate with her after she's already been inseminated once? The reason I ask is that on Sat evening I saw 2 doe come from "the thicket", one of which I killed, and they didn't have a buck following behind them. They were just going about things as normal, until I changed that. lol

Also, after being mated, will a doe try to ward off another potential suitor?

Last edited by early in; 11-13-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2007...production.htm
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the interesting information, but it really didn't answer the couple questions I had in my post.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it did, Bucks mate multiple times Does only once, twice is a rare occasion. The reason behind mating twice is possibly the doe didn't convenience the first time. Nearly the same as when the doe goes in heat if she doesn't get mated she will go in heat again (reason for second rut).

Will a doe ward off another suitor no. her hormone levels reduce and her estrus goes back to normal and a buck will be able to tell. you might get a young buck following them if its pretty close after mating the scent doesn't wash away that quickly but the doe will go back to something similar to the chasing stage if that soon.

Why would you ask, are you seeing signs of does mating multiple times. Though i know of no record of it but thinking about it i do believe it could be theoretically possible to have a sterile buck within an area but not sure if his scent will mask that flaw.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the answer is yes a doe will breed more than one buck.

The doe will only stand for 1-2 days.......this would be the 1-2 days we see the buck and doe together but not chasing(often times in an isolated area as he has driven her away from other possible mates)

If during that 1-2 days they encounter a more dominant buck I'd say yes she will let him breed her after he chases her boyfriend off.

Just my opinion based on observation.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

They've done DNA tests that show twin fawns sometimes have different dads. Also if a doe is already breed and she's out of cycle. I would assume she would just run away, or turn and rear up in an aggressive manner til the buck got the picture.