Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arteries low on chest/sternum area? >

Arteries low on chest/sternum area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arteries low on chest/sternum area?

Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

we were able to get another 100 yards of blood, right to the spot where I last saw him as he took off on a sprint after the doe and other bucks. nothing after that. hands/knees, hydrogen peroxide (which really helped earlier). Wide open woods on that side, so no "trails" to follow. I know the general direction they went, but it's about a 200 yard wide swath that they could have went. did some grids after last blood, and walked the thickets (with a dog) over the hill. My guess is he's going to be fine, it wasn't a good hit, though even today, some of those puddles of artery blood weren't dried up...some days I just hate bowhunting....
Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by handles II
we were able to get another 100 yards of blood, right to the spot where I last saw him as he took off on a sprint after the doe and other bucks. nothing after that. hands/knees, hydrogen peroxide (which really helped earlier). Wide open woods on that side, so no "trails" to follow. I know the general direction they went, but it's about a 200 yard wide swath that they could have went. did some grids after last blood, and walked the thickets (with a dog) over the hill. My guess is he's going to be fine, it wasn't a good hit, though even today, some of those puddles of artery blood weren't dried up...some days I just hate bowhunting....
The way I look at it when that happens to me is that I actually still got most of what I was out there to get.

Still got up close to an old ghost out there. Still got the huge rush.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a decent amount of blood...look around at the last blood in arching circles...only bad thing its a slice not a puncture...you may be lucky and find him if it was mortal... Good luck!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I'm thinking is the only way a cut like that killed him is if he bled to death and if he bled to death you should be finding blood.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll offer a little different perspective here:

I've seen a lot of fairly similar injuries to livestock ran through fences: horses, cattle, goats, and sheep. Big cuts on the underbelly or under chest will always bleed like crazy. You'd think they'd be mortal, and they flap open like nobody's business, but they're ultimately survivable. Worst part is that the flaps don't self close, so you'll see a lot of 'proud flesh' (we stitch them up in livestock, leaving a drainage gap or tube in place), or they'll get bad infections.

Sucks you lost a big one. Maybe you'll get another shot on him, season aint over yet.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Update from this thread.
A couple months ago I found out a neighbor shot this buck he scored 186 and change. Took it during gun season (about two weeks after I hit it). I was told by the shooter that the buck had a 5"x10" scab/scar on his sternum, but it was healing well and not infected. Glad to know the final chapter, and that someone ended up with a real trophy.