Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arteries low on chest/sternum area? >

Arteries low on chest/sternum area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arteries low on chest/sternum area?

Old 11-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arteries low on chest/sternum area?

I've been looking at as many anatomy pics as I can, but still a bit unclear. i hit a booner today, compensated for him to jump the string, but with the wind noise, I don't think he heard or was startled at my shot and all I did was graze the skin of his chest, right about the end of his sternum.
He was locked to a doe, and since she didn't worry about my shot, he hung around just out of range, looking...ok to perhaps feeling a bit ill. I could see the flap of skin opened up and blood doing a fast drip to a light pour.
Three other bucks came in harassing the doe and he ran them off each time, then stood really odd. tail tucked in, legs (left/right) held tightly together, kinda sheepish looking. But those other bucks kept coming and finally they bird dogged her away from him, and he took off after them all at top speed. That's where I lost blood (and sight of which way they went. What I found was much "better" than expected. 1. lots of blood 2. quite a bit that was very bright red, even some bubbles. I know I didn't hit lung, arrow was virtually clean. I attached a sample photo of the blood. There were at least 20 pools of it that size or larger. keep in mind it was from a very crappy phone and quite cloudy out, so the pic is much darker than in real life. So..artery in that area or did my first booner make a clean get away? (granted, going to look more in the morning regardless). Thanks for your opinions. oh, and on the photo, note the bright red blood drop on the yellow leaf towards the bottom of the pic, way more of that color blood than I ever expected to see.
Attached Thumbnails Arteries low on chest/sternum area?-blood.jpg  

Last edited by handles II; 11-09-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally feel that with with what you say, your "Booner" is just going to have a bad tattoo from this. If you just hit on the lower side of the sternum/brisket, that is not a fatal shot. What size do you say it was to make him a "Booner"? Just curious.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I personally feel that with with what you say, your "Booner" is just going to have a bad tattoo from this. If you just hit on the lower side of the sternum/brisket, that is not a fatal shot. What size do you say it was to make him a "Booner"? Just curious.
Over 171"

I have a 174 on my wall that was shot by my grandpa in '72. It's an 11 pt. 12" g2's and 20 1/2" spread. This was 14 pt, 3 beam, droptine and just as good of frame/tines as my grandpas buck. I look at that buck on the wall everyday, anything that is bigger than it, must be a "booner". This was the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof and I watched him for 6 hours 90 yards away locked on that doe before she lead him my way. Plenty of time to size him up. Thanks for doubting though.
I have to agree that it's highly unlikely that I made a fatal shot, the bright red "artery" blood mixed with the darker muscle blood was certainly a suprise and a bit of a puzzle considering what I found at the arrow (lots of white hair, some blood) and I could see a flap of skin hanging from his chest, at times I could see blood coming out in a steady stream.
I didn't push him, gave 1 1/2 hrs before even getting out of my tree, and quit once light was starting to fade. Cool night tonight and bright sun tomorrow morning, so it will give me as good of a chance as any. I'm feeling amazingly calm about this whole thing. Not sure what that means.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The flap of skin leans towards cut rather than puncture IMO.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, it certainly was a cut, not a puncture, or a 'passthrough'. I knew that as soon as I saw the arrrow, but the evidence left behind and from what I could see through binocs seemed to indicate something more. I was looking at this . If you click on it, it will magnafy the image. notice the two arteries that head toward the liver then just sort of 'stop' in the diagram? just after the end of the ribs/sternum is where I believe I hit. I'm thinking I may have clipped one or both of those as they obviously extend in real life (he was slightly uphill from me), thus the artery blood. It's about the only thing I can think of. If I hit the bottom of the liver it would be all pretty dark stuff. I'm guessing it's not an easy place to heal either, each running step would stretch that area and keep it open.
Thanks for the input though, i guess time, patience, and some luck (or not) will tell. If I find him, i'll be sure to post.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt, just curious. I have 2 bucks at home that are over 200" and have had guys look at them and come up with from 160 to 240. So some people see a buck in the 160+ and really can't tell what it is much less be close.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by handles II
Yes, it certainly was a cut, not a puncture, or a 'passthrough'. I knew that as soon as I saw the arrrow, but the evidence left behind and from what I could see through binocs seemed to indicate something more. I was looking at this . If you click on it, it will magnafy the image. notice the two arteries that head toward the liver then just sort of 'stop' in the diagram? just after the end of the ribs/sternum is where I believe I hit. I'm thinking I may have clipped one or both of those as they obviously extend in real life (he was slightly uphill from me), thus the artery blood. It's about the only thing I can think of. If I hit the bottom of the liver it would be all pretty dark stuff. I'm guessing it's not an easy place to heal either, each running step would stretch that area and keep it open.
Thanks for the input though, i guess time, patience, and some luck (or not) will tell. If I find him, i'll be sure to post.
My advice is look for him like he is dead rather than look for him like he might be dead.

Last edited by rockport; 11-09-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

When I was younger, I shot a buck up hill and it only hit his chest. The bullet went through his skin under his rib cage and he walked up to another guy in the stand and he fell over in front of him.

So I have had an expire nice where I hit maybe where you did and he went 200 yards up the hill and fell over dead.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks golfpro, a bit of encouragement there. I slept well most of the night, but woke at 3:00 a.m., so I'm certainly feeling some anticipation.
And yes rockport, that is exactly what I plan to do, I've got a buddy his best friend, some hydrogen peroxide and good weather and plans to find him dead. The trick will be how far/what direction did that doe go, and how long and hard was he able to keep going with the drive of breeding on his mind. Had those other bucks not shown up, I think they would have stayed right in the area and I might have gotten another shot opportunity.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck !! I sure hope you find him!!

Hatchet Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.