Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ruined spot?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruined spot?

I was out for my 3rd sit of our Expanded archery season this morning up here in Maine. There was a very light north wind in my face, about 34F out and at 6 AM I here a noise and out of a ravine comes a heavy bodied 6 pointer. He walks up to a spot about 17 yards away with his head down sniffing or something and then he turns around and runs about 20-30 ft back to where he came from, stops and slowly walks back into woods. He never looked up or anything. Now I haven't walked in front of my treestand for about a week and its rained hard between then and now. Did this encounter ruin that spot?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

No spot isnt ruined if you left it be for a few days. By the reaction the deer showed, it would appear he may have scented you but he didnt fully get scared. He caught scent and jump but stopped. That tells me he is not entirely sure if the scent is still present or where a threat could be so he just did what they do best and returned to thicker hiding.

Now that goes to finding out what you did next could play a better role in deciding. Did you sit for the remainder of the hunt or did you just call it a day and immediately get up and leave.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definatly not ruined. Are you looking at getting him? If you are you know where he's coming from. Try setting up in a different spot closer to where he came out. If he does remember the last incident he'll be looking in that direction. Turn it against him and hit him from different spot
Old 09-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

olsaltydog I sat for rest of hunt.
Thanks for responding
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Not ruined. You should be fine bud.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys
Old 09-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll be fine. People say if you spook a buck out of its bedroom it will be gone and never come back. Think of it like this. If you are at home and find out someone you didn't know walked through your yard, you might take a few more precautions but you are not going to get up in move. If you hear someone try and get in your house, you are going to take a lot more precautions but probably not move. If someone breaks into your house, then you probably will either take every precaution necessary or move. A buck doesn't want to move to an area he isn't farmiliar with if he is just slightly spooked. Be cautious when you are in his yard/house and you should be fine, just dont walk into his yard alot or just don't go into his house (bedding area) and walk around spook him and you should be fine. Thats just the way I think...
Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Might not have even been your scent that spooked the deer.