Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
need helping choosing broadhead. >

need helping choosing broadhead.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need helping choosing broadhead.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying the G5 T3's this year. Hope they work okay. The clips are something I have no experience with.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting the rage since it came out and it has always done me well. I have used both the 3 blade and the 2 blade. I prefer the 2 blade.

-john
Old 09-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Spike

I shot rage two blade chisel tip last year. After loosing a monster 8pt in Illinois and several other deer in Ga and Fl, I decided to go back to the trusty thunderhead. I have more than 20 rages that are bent in the ferrel area. When this happens the insert is also bent and the arrow shaft splits. First 8pt this year I lost due to not getting a pass thru. NO BLOOD anywhere and I shot the deer about 6 ft from my tree. Came home and purchased a 6pk of TH. This past weekend I shot another 8pt thru both shoulders with complete pass thru and into the dirt. He went 30 yards. I shoot and believe different than most hunters with arrow weight and speed. I want Lite and fast arrows for flatter trajectory. With the rages the arrow only goes in about a third to half of its length. Please don't say my arrows are too lite as I regularly get pass thru on 200# large boar hogs shooting both shoulders with the thunderheads. Oh fwiw, my bow shoots field pts, rages and thunderheads the same(poi).

Last edited by Stickthrower; 09-30-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Spike

I personally dislike mechanical heads. I bought mechanicals once and after a few afternoons of shooting them I decided then and there that they are not for me. It once was an issue that some outfitters were banning use of mechanicals heads on their hunts. I'm not sure of this is still the case. But hearing that and then having my own issues with them sealed the deal for me.

I've been shooting Muzzy 3-blade 100g heads for years and have zero complaints about the performance of the head. I did shoot thunderheads at first but I didn't like how it needed a ring and then had to be screwed onto the shaft to keep the head together. Muzzy's lock in place with the tip and become one piece.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stickthrower
I shot rage two blade chisel tip last year. After loosing a monster 8pt in Illinois and several other deer in Ga and Fl, I decided to go back to the trusty thunderhead. I have more than 20 rages that are bent in the ferrel area. When this happens the insert is also bent and the arrow shaft splits. First 8pt this year I lost due to not getting a pass thru. NO BLOOD anywhere and I shot the deer about 6 ft from my tree. Came home and purchased a 6pk of TH. This past weekend I shot another 8pt thru both shoulders with complete pass thru and into the dirt. He went 30 yards. I shoot and believe different than most hunters with arrow weight and speed. I want Lite and fast arrows for flatter trajectory. With the rages the arrow only goes in about a third to half of its length. Please don't say my arrows are too lite as I regularly get pass thru on 200# large boar hogs shooting both shoulders with the thunderheads. Oh fwiw, my bow shoots field pts, rages and thunderheads the same(poi).
Not all mechanicals are the same I have shot Rockets for almost 20 years and nothing but praise for them. I tried Rage for 2 season and had similar results aweful penetration and overall disgust.

Our lease no longer permits Rage as many other hunters were having similar problems. Our wounded deer have gone down drastically on our lease.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 100gr 4-blade muzzy's and have had 3 pass thru's this season. Great blood trails.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

im a 100 gr rage extreme fan!! i recovered a doe shot with the extreme last year and her lung was hanging half way out of the hole!!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

100 grain rage two blade giant holes and they fly like field points all the failure stories are bs I've used them ever since they came out you will not be disappointed, this is what they do
Attached Thumbnails need helping choosing broadhead.-image.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by indiana deer hunter
100 grain rage two blade giant holes and they fly like field points all the failure stories are bs I've used them ever since they came out you will not be disappointed, this is what they do
All the Problems people have had with them are not BS! that is an insane comment. Do they work well most of the time yes but they are huge heads that do not penetrate nearly as well as many others that is FACT!

They will do great on soft tissue I would never want one on my arrow when shooting through anything else. Most of the time if not all the time lost deer are poor shot placement but I want a head that gives me the best opportunity at recovering my game when things don't go perfectly and RAGE is not that head.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Spike

Default Muzzy

IMO Muzzy is the best out there for fixed blade. they fly great they are very strong i have never broke one. you can replace the blades after the shot, and they penatrate like crazy.

for mechanicals i would say ulmer edge are the best for sure. they are sharpend on opposite sides on both ends so they cut on a spyral going in and out. they penatrate surprisingly well for mechanical, and are very strong, also the blades pivot around bones so your arrow is not slowed down and penatrates very well. (they will be in my quiver this hunting season)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.