HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need helping choosing broadhead.
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 AM
bghunter777
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Stickthrower
I shot rage two blade chisel tip last year. After loosing a monster 8pt in Illinois and several other deer in Ga and Fl, I decided to go back to the trusty thunderhead. I have more than 20 rages that are bent in the ferrel area. When this happens the insert is also bent and the arrow shaft splits. First 8pt this year I lost due to not getting a pass thru. NO BLOOD anywhere and I shot the deer about 6 ft from my tree. Came home and purchased a 6pk of TH. This past weekend I shot another 8pt thru both shoulders with complete pass thru and into the dirt. He went 30 yards. I shoot and believe different than most hunters with arrow weight and speed. I want Lite and fast arrows for flatter trajectory. With the rages the arrow only goes in about a third to half of its length. Please don't say my arrows are too lite as I regularly get pass thru on 200# large boar hogs shooting both shoulders with the thunderheads. Oh fwiw, my bow shoots field pts, rages and thunderheads the same(poi).
Not all mechanicals are the same I have shot Rockets for almost 20 years and nothing but praise for them. I tried Rage for 2 season and had similar results aweful penetration and overall disgust.

Our lease no longer permits Rage as many other hunters were having similar problems. Our wounded deer have gone down drastically on our lease.