Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broken main beam >

Broken main beam

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken main beam

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Spike

Default Broken main beam

This buck has been showing up on my property. Would you pass him this season and hope his rack is normal next year or would you harvest him this year and call him a management buck?

Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Spike

Management buck, but looks like he has good genes so maybe give him a year.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to tell you but more than likely thats what he is. A non typical unless somehow he damaged that side earlier in the year and stunted the growth. You see that once in awhile.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

could have been hit by a vehicle...he looks young...You might give him another year but the next person might not...I say just let nature take its course.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deernutz
Sorry to tell you but more than likely thats what he is. A non typical unless somehow he damaged that side earlier in the year and stunted the growth. You see that once in awhile.
I was thinking the same thing. A damaged main beam would look pretty nasty with blood and such. Also, it was a broken beam the brow tine would be similar to the other one. He might have had an injury on the opposite side of his body in the past year that caused it. That or it could be genetics.

I had a buck I arrowed three years ago that I never found. He showed up the next year with a semi deformed antler due to the wound. Then last year it started looking closer to normal. I hope to see him this year with a very nice rack. Last year he was about a 150" so I'm hoping he's close to that again!