Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Fastest Hunt Ever? >

Fastest Hunt Ever?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fastest Hunt Ever?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fastest Hunt Ever?

What is the least amount of time you ever spent in a stand and killed a deer. Last season I had a 10 minute hunt which was pretty fast. However, about 10 years ago I climed into my stand one day and had a deer down in 3 minutes. Can anyone beat that?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nov 6,1992 drove 3 hrs to my cabin and get into my stand at 12 noon. Shot a 6pt at 12:15. Nov. 7, 2001 walking to my stand noticed a 5pt walking up the ridge towards me. Shot him at 8 ft 4 minutes after legal shooting hrs started
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well not a deer but a bear. But very similar to Jim"s episode. I got up and left our cabin prior to daylight. Walked up the mtn to my favorite spot which took me about an hour an 45 mins (stright uphill). I got to the fallen tree that I normally sit at and as soon as I sat down here comes a nice fat black bear. ONe well placed shot and I was attaching my tag to it. Total time actually on stand - about 20 seconds.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three feet off the ground in my climber. I was walking a creek bank in and actually had my climber attached to the tree then lost my footing and fell down the bank of the drainage that went into the creek. Didn't hurt myself at all but made a decent amount of noise. I got into my climber and three feet up I see a wake in the creek and stop and see a quick flash of an ear and pull my bow up. Pulled an arrow out as fast as I could and the buck showed his face about 30 seconds later. A nice basket rack 8 point. Let an arrow fly at 15 yards and found him 40 yards away. I guess I hadn't started hunting yet. After that hunt I would never beat myself up if I approached a stand and made a little noise. In the rut, a buck might think its another deer invading his territory!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

fasetti - funny you should mention that. It reminds me of a time many years ago when I was making all kind of racket trying to get my climber onto a tree and then climbing up. I must have sounded like 2 buck fighting or somthing because as I was going up the tree I heard something coming toward me hard and fast. I was about 10' up as a deer came within about 10or so yards from me. I eased my bow up as we stared each other down in the dim pre dawn light for about 15 mins. Just about the time it was light enough so that I could make out he was a decent buck, he decided he had enough of me and trotted off and left me scratching my head.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, it was one of the crazier hunting events I ever had. I just had started using a climber that year and it wasn't the best of quality. I think what saved me is that the creek had a lot of ducks in it and I think there was a group landing or making noise behind him because he turned and looked back for a few seconds to check it out. I was able to pull back my bow at that point. I've had a lot of hunts go bad before because of stupid little things I did wrong, this is one where I got lucky and everything that could have gone right did. Still a great memory.

It also shows that as long as you don't make any unnatural loud noises no hunt it ever ruined. If I rustle a few leaves or cracks a few branches at my set up I don't worry anymore. Some of the squirrels I hear in the woods are ridiculously loud so deer have to be used to that noise.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very first deer I took . I went to a stand in I have in my yard maybe 200 feet back .
When I got over the ridge where my stand was there was a deer 10 yards . So I nocked an arrow stepped over to a spot I could shoot . She looked up and spotted me. She just stood there so I quickly pulled back and let her go. She ran maybe 20 yards stopped ,wobbled then fell over.
Whole hunt was maybe 2 -3 minutes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quick

in West Virginia about 7 years ago I drove the ATV to the edge of our field. Walked to my ladder stand and climbed up...as I was pulling my bow up to me I heard something and looked up. A six point and a doe were coming straight for me. I quickly pulled my bow up, nocked an arrow and as the 6 pt walked by I stopped him. Perfect lung shot and watched him go down. I was in the stand maybe 2 minutes...crazy!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

You guys must have better karma than I do lol. My fastest was December 3rd, 2012. It was a windy morning and I was later than I would like to be getting to the stand. I got in the stand and knocked an arrow exactly 2 minutes after legal shooting light, right at sunrise I let out a series of tending grunts and 4 minutes later I hear a deer coming like a freight train. at 27 yards I smoked my first pope and young whitetail 132 1/8". Total time on stand was 39 minutes.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My fastest hunt ever came last year on opening day. Got into the stand about 1 hour before daylight and could hear and see numerous deer moving around me. About dawn I could see that they were all very nice bucks. At 755 I drew back and arrowed a 160 class 12 point and watched him run and fall. I nocked another arrow and had a 130 class 8point come in right behind him same trail at 801. My season was over. Very surreal I had scouted and worked so hard scouting all summer and it paid off but my buck tags were filled. Only does the rest of the year! You can see the picture on my main page www.hunting-property-advisors.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.