Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tree Stand vs. Ground Blind >

Tree Stand vs. Ground Blind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stand vs. Ground Blind

Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default Tree Stand vs. Ground Blind

Guys,
I have a question regarding tree stands vs. ground blinds, and I have a feeling that many of you have spent a considerable amount of time weighing the benefits/costs of each option. To begin with, I hunt the west and very rarely hunt from a blind or stand (almost exclusively spot and stalk). While hunting deep in the backcountry last fall, I came upon a series of 4 elk wallows on a mountainside that were unbelievably hammered and all were within 25-30 yards from each other. It was like an elk playground. I have never found a wallowing area that had signs of so much activity, and the thought of sitting on this location early in the archery season has a lot of potential.

So now I am hoping to glean a little advice from those who are experienced in the art of hunting from blinds and stands. Which of these options is the best for scent control? I'm sure the answer is: "it depends" and "you can't totally control your scent," but in general, which would you choose if you were in my shoes/boots? Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Spike

It would depend on the area. If there were large enough trees for good concealment I would use a tree stand, this keeps your scent above the animals for a longer time than being on the ground but wind direction is the most important thing to consider. I would not hesitate to use a ground blind in the right situation.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

I would use a ground blind and brush it in very good.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Like said above it would depend on the amount of cover. If there is good tree cover I am more of a treestand guy. Although if there is limited cover I will opt to use a ground blind. Be sure which ever option you choose to keep in mind the wind direction when putting these stands or ground blinds up. Best of luck to you!