Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rubber Boots Yes/No Why/What >

Rubber Boots Yes/No Why/What

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber Boots Yes/No Why/What

Old 09-24-2003, 10:52 PM

Default Rubber Boots Yes/No Why/What

Rookie Bowhunter: Do I need Rubber Boots? Why or Why not? If yes, what kind?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rubber Boots Yes/No Why/What

First, welcome to the board, Dr. FM!

Now, you will likely get differing opinions, but here is mine.

Yep, you need rubber boots to effectively bowhunt whitetails. Their nose is the hardest thing to overcome, and rubber boots, IMHO, are a big, big help.

I prefer LaCrosse Burlys. They come in several types to cover temperature ranges.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:27 PM

I second that yes, rubber boots dont absorb scent like leather boots do, a must for up close and personal bowhunting.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:38 AM

Rubber boots get my vote. Hey Doc... What' s up with the Wisconsin bow hunt? I imparted much wisdom to your post regarding tactics and then no follow up on your part. I am a little dissapointed that others here on the BBS didn' t respond to your other post too. You can' t just ask questions here...you need to be involved.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spray my regular boots with scent eliminator and I had a deer walk right over the path I walked and not even smell it.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:31 AM

Another vote for rubber boots,I also prefer the LaCrosse...Bob
Old 09-25-2003, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting with knee-high rubber boots for about three seasons, and have noticed a HUGE difference in how deer react when crossing my trail.............they DON' t because there' s nothing to smell.

I used to go through huge rituals with my leather/rubber bottoms and no matter what I did if a deer crossed my path they always acted like they could smell something. Rubbers for me, always!!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a reason that a good percentage of bowhunters wear rubber boots.....they work! They don' t leave/hold scent, today' s designs are comfortable, lightweight and available almost anywhere.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nahh, not me. I used to wear rubber boots for years, but always disliked their lack of support, problems getting them off after an all day hunt, and draining my socks after wearing the boots all day. I hunt because I enjoy it, and I personally don' t like to hunt while being unconfortable. I was always taught that while hunting to stay as dry as possible. If so, that would go against wearing rubber boots, cause I certainly do sweat alot in them even while doing absolutely nothing.

I as others have mentioned use scent eliminator spray, which I can' t honestly say works or not. You' d have to be a deer to say if it works or not. But I can say that since I have gone back to wearing comfortable foot wear, I am happier and can say that I have seen just as many deer (even up close). My current boots are a pair of Danner Elk hunters that I am breaking in for an Elk Hunt next year in the Rockies.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:52 AM

If I' m still-hunting, I wear leather boots. If a deer crosses my trail, it won' t matter nearly as much if it smells my tracks. If I' m stand hunting, I' ll wear rubber boots. I' ve been very satisfied wit LaCrosse Burly.

Quick Reply: Rubber Boots Yes/No Why/What

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.