Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How height affects accuracy >

How height affects accuracy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How height affects accuracy

Old 09-22-2003, 09:00 PM

Default How height affects accuracy

Alright i understand that most hunters tend to shoot high from a stand because of the angle and how their for changes in the tree or whatever. But what about going really high. Say i find me a big ole tall tree to climb, what will my sight difference be from 15 ft - 30+ ft? anyone know? I want to climb as high as posible but i dont want to sacrafice a good ethical shot. I have heard guys say they dont go much higher than 10 ft so that they can get a double lung shot. Anyways.....anyone ever tried it out and tried to shoot from waaaaay up in the tree? Thanks guys.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How height affects accuracy

Alright i understand that most hunters tend to shoot high from a stand because of the angle and how their for changes in the tree or whatever.
WRONG!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:17 PM

they shoot high becasue they have bad form and dont bend at the waist.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 PM

quote:

Alright i understand that most hunters tend to shoot high from a stand because of the angle and how their for changes in the tree or whatever. ...... " they shoot high becasue they have bad form and dont bend at the waist. "
Not bending at the waste = change in form......whatever, it doesnt matter why, i am just wondering how height affects the shot
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Elevation and angle have nothing to do with archers shooting high...it' s the lack of knowledge and these archers are dropping their bow arm and not bending at the waist.....if you bend at the waist, it doesn' t matter if you are 10 ft up or 40 ft up.....However, the higher you go, the more the difficulty level goes up....you must aim for the exit hole and think about the path of the arrow through the animal.

Through the years of hunting and competitive 3D, I' ve shot from ground level to up as high as 30 ft....and from ground level up into trees at bear targets or uphill on mountian lion targets and more....none of these elevations or uphill shooting is affected high or low as long as you bend at the waist....

If you truly believe you shoot high because of elevation...you better get out there and practice bending at the waist.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 PM

thanks rob, I found a niiiice tree where i hunt and i can get waaayyy up and see a long way. I just didnt want to compensate my shot. I do understand that you have to aim by what the arrow is gonna hit inside the deer and not the outside " kill zone." Many thanks.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:36 PM
voz
Fork Horn

good post
Old 09-22-2003, 11:02 PM

Be aware that the higher you go......the more likely a single lung hit comes into play. It' s hard to take out both lungs shooting straight down, which you may be doing if a deer is 10 yards or closer.

The best thing about shooting at a higher angle IMO is that you can get away with more movement and if your arrow makes an exit wound it will be on the animals underside making the blood flow easily to the ground for a nice track.

Be sure of your higher shots and where they will exit.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Rob has stated.....bend at the waist for the same point of impact out of a stand. Also, practice out of a stand.

As far as taking both lungs out of the equasion....30' up a tree(which is pretty darn high)and a 10 yard shot, results in a 45 degree angle. Getting both lungs in this situation is still an easy task. Now if the deer gets in alot closer than ten yards, it obviously reduces the chance of getting both lungs.

That is why I try to set my stands so that I can expect a shot opportunity somewhere between 10-20 yards.

Of course, sometimes those deer just don`t play by the rules!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your getting good advise , know before you go . Try some shots from the elivation you will hunt from . Take a feild tiped arrow with you and shoot at a pine cone at known distance .

Quick Reply: How height affects accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.