Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 missed a deer tonight...worth hunting that area again tomorrow? >

missed a deer tonight...worth hunting that area again tomorrow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

missed a deer tonight...worth hunting that area again tomorrow?

Old 09-20-2003, 10:05 PM

Default missed a deer tonight...worth hunting that area again tomorrow?

there was a " herd" of 3 does and 1 fawn that was gazing through a soy bean feild tonight. I took a shot at the biggest doe and missed. my question is, is it worth hunting the same spot tomorrow or will the deer be affraid to come back to there path? another question is can a fawn survive if you kill its mom when it still has spots on it? and how do you tell wich doe a fawn belongs to? i shot at the doe in the fron because the fawn was in the back(i thought ide be safe that way, but i wouldnt have matteredecause i missed) anyways any replies tonight would be appreciated becasue im headed off to hunttomorrow morn.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2003, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: missed a deer tonight...worth hunting that area again tomorrow?

sometimes Depends if they seen you and if you gave them alot exposure. I seen over the years when I missed and they did not see me ,they actual came back within a few minutes . Curious to see what that funny sound was. Deer dont naturally spook over a bow sound or a arrow zipping by them.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:59 AM

I agree with Cardeer. I' ve taken 2 or 3 shots at the same deer. Didn' t know the yardage. I actually had 1 doe come up and snip the arrow after I shot it at her. It went low and she jumped but only ran about 10 yards. Then after about 5 minutes she came back. If you didn' t give yourself away getting out of there and they didn' t associate the sound of your shot with you, you' ll be OK. As far as shooting a doe with fawns, tough question. As Rackassasan said, the fawns use the doe as protection and to learn from. What to eat, when to eat, what to stay away from, etc. I don' t know though. It seems as though every doe has fawns with her. Tough call. We need to take some does to cull down the herd here in Iowa so I would probably chance taking her anyway. Especially if she were a big mature doe.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:20 PM

I think they' ll come back.
Two years ago when I got my doe my hubby and I were cleaning it and other deer kept walking up to us as though we weren' t even there! Too bad hubby wasn' t holding on to his weapon at the time or we both would have been lucky.
I walk the woods nearly every day and I spook the does all the time. They come back. I don' t usually spook the bucks but then I try to stay away from the areas where I know they hang out.
As for that doe - depends upon the age of the fawn. If it' s too small I would pass and let mom raise him right.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Jersey you have to shoot a Doe before you can harvest a buck. Well 3 does come walking by, I got one. The next day same time the other two come by like clock work. The season' s going to switch in 2 days which means I' ll need my doe again in order to harvest a buck so I let them pass. The season changes 2 days later and here the two come, I get the second doe. After that I did see the other doe only she used a different trail only 30 yds off the previous trail. Let her walk, I wanted her Daddy. So as long as they don' t know your there they should keep with their habbits unless something or someone changes that on you. Ps Dad never showed up.[:' (] But no regrets. Some one on the mb said to put some scent on your fletchings and if you miss you might just get another shot, might have to give it a try.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id hunt it again!