Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 Montec

Old 02-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Spike

Default G5 Montec

Hello everyone. been looking to get some new broadheads. I currently use the rage 3-blade. I had a bad experience with some poor penetration issues. I am looking for a fixed blade and have heard some good things about the G5 series broadheads. Any suggestions?? Thank you!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothin wrong with the miontecs, solid one piece head. What is your draw weight and arrow weight. I don't have alot of first hand experience with the rages but if you are shooting a light draw with a light arrow penetration with any expandable could be less than desirable, depending upon shot placement. I personally shoot slick trick broadheads. They have coc heads and chisel tips. All fours blad heads and deadly accurate. I shoot the grizztrick 2's and they are awesome. But broadheads are a very personal choice. Be it G5, Muzzy, slicktrick, or any other quality fixed blade, you can't go wrong.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Spike

I used the G5 Montec's this year and they worked great. Flew just like my field points and were very sharp. I had a complete passthrough and the 3.5 year old Buck only ran 60 yards. The only problem I had with them was the blood trail. Of course the trail was good enough for me to find him but there were not pools of blood with my double lung like you hear from other broadheads... I would give the broadhead a 4.5 out of 5 and would recommend them... I would get the carbon version though becuase they are sharper
Old 02-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Spike

I have been shooting montecs for about 5 years or so. I have 0 problems with them. They sharpen easily, Penetrate great, and have killed plenty of deer for me. A few I remember which impressed me. I shot a doe the first year I used them. It went in and out through ribs, hit a rock in the creek then skipped up and hit another a rock. Dulled the point a little bit but that was all. I sharpened it up and used it again. Killed a buck this year with one. Went through both shoulders and into a tree. It's in the case on another arrow to be used again.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Spike

thats really impressive naildriver! thank you all for the input!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Spike

Take a look at the Magnus Snuffers. Similar in design to the Montecs but they have a lifetime guarantee.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 AM
Spike

G5 makes a good product, I personally like the Wac'em Triton. They are very similar to the G5 Striker. They are a cut on contact just like the Montec except they have replaceable blades so no sharpining.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My father shoots them out of his crossbow and so far they have performed quite well. Three deer and three pass throughs. He shot all of them at 15 yards and was on the ground. Two or the arrows passed through and were lodged in a trees behind the deer. One so deep it had to stay there. One doe didn't have a great blood trail but the shot was a littel forward. Out of the three deer, one doe with a poor shot went about 150 yards, a doe with a good shot went about 60 yards and a basket rack 9 point went about 20 yards. For him, I think they are great broadheads. Personally, I'm a slick trick guy as well. This year I'll be trying on the new Viper trick and see how they perform.

Popeandyoung, how do you like the grizz tricks? I'm thinking about trying them out this year. I shoot a Mathews Helim, 70 pds and 30" draw so I think they will hold up well with my bow.