Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
First bow ever, Good deal? >

First bow ever, Good deal?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow ever, Good deal?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default First bow ever, Good deal?

So I never shot a bow in my whole entire life. I recently go interested in bow hunting and I've been trying to read up on bows and what not until I can get my hunting classes and archery classes. My uncle which is into bow hunting told me to stay in the hoyt, pse and matthews brands to ensure getting quality products.

I was talking with my girlfriend's uncle which is into hunting too '' actually all of her family are into hunting, they're from north canada''.

I went to L'Aviron in quebec which gave me my draw length, it's 29''.

He told me he wasn't into bow hunting anymore and wanted to stick to firearms hunting...

He wants to sell me his Hoyt Rebel XT compound bow for 450 fully equiped. Only thing is I really don't know if it's a good bow at all, I never used a bow in my whole life!

I looked it up on google a little bit and I see people trying to sell their hoyt rebel xt for like 100$. Am I getting a good deal or could I get better elsewhere?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Banned

the rebel is not worth 450. i see hoyt trykons for 350-500 all the time and they are far better than the rebel. with that said every bow manufacture makes quality products. do not be pushed into the one brand is better hype. just because one brand might sell more bows than another doesnt mean their products are better or that they are the right bow for you. shoot several bows to find the one that feels best to you.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

I love my PSE Stinger. It's about that, and has the warranty, etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quick look, looks like $450 could be full retail price of bow and any thing else like arrows and release, not used bow price.
You could do better.
Name brands have good bows, doesn't mean lesser name brands don't either.
Top of the line name brand won't help if its the wrong bow for the shooter.
Try a few different bows, and see what feels good.
See if a range has used bows you can rent/try.
Ask around see friends will let you try their bow.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

450 you can get some nice package bows brand new, Dosnt sound like the best deal out there.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Spike

Yea I picked up a left over 2011 Fred bear attack with a ready to shoot package for 449 I couldn't pass it up. Even pse stingers new going for 379-399.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Spike

so I take it it's a bad deal. Can anyone point me the good direction as to what to look for before purchasing the good one? At first when I was doing some researches I figured I'd go for a Matthews Drenalin just cause that's what my uncle has and I was seeing good reviews on the internet.

Yes I need to shoot bows, Yes I need to find the right bow for me.
But is there any models to look for as beginners that are quiet and has some good fps? Something to give me a decent idea on how to base myself when shopping for a bow to first hunt with and also a bow that grows well with the ages? I kinda want to keep it for a while and take care of it not just throw it away after 2 seasons and look for a new one hence why I wanted a drenalin in the first place.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Id say go with PSE brute, or if you want to go cheeper and spend money on good arrows Pse stinger is also a decent beginner bow. just a couple look at cabelas website tons of reviews on many differnt bows and you can see what other packages are out there.