Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looking For help in purchasing a Bow >

Looking For help in purchasing a Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking For help in purchasing a Bow

Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking For help in purchasing a Bow

I would like to get into bow hunting so i will not get stuck to one part of the season. I dont want to be taken for a ride at a shop for crap i dont need. It has been 20 years since i shot a bow and it was a recurve bow at scout camp. What brand would be best for a begginner but grow with me as i mature into the sport? and im sure there is more to it i just dont know what im looking at. thank you for any help.

Corey
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I also just got into bow hunting 2 seasons ago and felt the same way. I did some reasearch and went to the LL Bean bow shop. I told them the same thing your asking and told them what I wanted, researched and could afford ($700). First the man said I should look into a package deal and not to purchase what i reaearched because it was too expensive after adding on accessories. Also because the only difference between the $800 Bow and $500 bow was the string which was a measley $60 difference. He also told me the same manufacturer made both bows. I bought a 70lb Diamond Outlaw and I love it. It cost $500 and comes with a octane quiver, apex sights and stabilizer.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks yeah i went to Cabelas today and talked to a rep there and we talked for a while about the whole process. It was very informative and i thought shooting had alot to it i was wrong thinking that Archery would be a little eaiser to understand nope i just have been shooting for the last 10 years and am a kindergarner when it comes to archery looking foward to the learning process.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yup. I would recommend looking into a package bow. All the accessories can add up quickly. It's nice to have everything (although not the best of the best) when you buy a package, and add upgraded accessories as you go. Remember, if you buy a bare bow, you have to the buy a rest, sights, peep, stabilizer, wrist strap, quiver, not to mention arrows, broad heads, bow case, etc.

Look into last years models. The new models are going to be coming out soon after the season, so last years bows will start to be discounted. In places like cabelas bargain cave.

Also check out who makes the bows. The "off brands" are essentially the same bow as the name brand with different labeling. For example, diamond bows are made by bowtec, and mission is made by Matthews. These are good started bows for beginners.

I started with a Bear ready to hunt package. Haven't changed a thing in three years with it. Still get compliments at the range about how quiet it is. In the end, get what feels right to you. My buddy shoots a diamond and I like it also. I don't see the need to spend a 1000 bucks on a Mathews or bowtec bow without any accessories.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks more good advice. Thanks for your input Neb. Did not know their was year models will look that way too
Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by navymancdf
and am a kindergarner when it comes to archery looking foward to the learning process.
Stick with it long enough to get in some exciting hunts and you'll be addicted. Bow hunting will change your life bro.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

pse has some great field ready and ready to shoot packages.
the rts comes with every thing you need minus arrows, tips, case, and release.
the field ready comes with all you need except tips.
rts- http://pse-archery.com/c/ready-to-shoot-bows
field ready- http://pse-archery.com/c/field-ready-bows
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Spike

Package deal are definitely a good way to go and Bear has a real good line of new bows out but if you don't mind a used bow ebay has a wide variety of from many different years and you can spend what you want and get what you want.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

My Old man picked up a PSE brute package and ohh man is that thing hit hard! I mean for the money spent you cant find a better deal. I think you can get it for about 500$ save you some money for good arrows and broadheads.

Good luck

Niccum
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you guys for the continued input i am looking foward to my first purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.