Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening >

what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening

Old 09-18-2003, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening

Is it possible with the spitfires that they can " pre-open" a bit while pushed into your quiver?

The rubber bands on others can actually stretch while doing this, but then during extremely cold weather they lose their memory and the blades flop around. I use silvertips and because of their longer head, that doesn' t happen, but just curious about the spitfires.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used muzzy 3 blades, because I always wonder what would happen if someone shot a deer in the shoulder w/a mechanical. I' m no dissing mechanicals I would just like to know if anyone has shot a deer in the shoulder w/a spitfire and how well did it penetrate?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:32 AM

North Jeff- I always make sure that my blades are closed when I put the arrow on my string. I have not had a problem with them pre-opening, but again, I make sure they are closed when they go on the string, and in my quiver.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put a spitfire thru both shoulder blades of a large buck last year, one blade out of 3 wouldn' t close afterwards, it had a nick in it. No blades were broke or bent. I have taken 5 deer, 4 turkeys, 2 fox, and 6 ground hogs with spitfires and they are awesome.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:21 PM

NorthJeff,
You might want to look at quivers for mechanical heads. That can happen with any mechanical. I use my Alpine softlock with both mechanicals and fixed blades. I don' t really like shoving the fixed blades in and out of foam either. They are still protected by the hood but just not buried in the foam.
-Chief
Old 09-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big John Did it pass through on that deer? Can you resharpen the blades or do you replace them?
Old 09-18-2003, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow stopped with 2 inches sticking out the far side, so yes it passed thru both blades. I never resharpen blades I put on new ones, and that arrow with the head still on is retired now and fixed to the bottom of the mount.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:38 PM

I' m so old school it' s sickening. I can' t seem to give up the Muzzy' s. They shoot like my field points. I am curious though. I am still a bit jaded because of all the bad publicity the early mechanicals got. I can' t bring myself to try them even though almost all reports on them are good. The one alaming post I found was by PatapscoMike when he mentioned a lack of pass thru' s on a couple deer. I absolutely require that second hole in the deer. Usually a tough tracking job with only one hole. Have any of you experienced the same problem? I went as far as to buy some spitfires a couple years ago, then chickened out when push came to shove. Do you all prefer the two blade or three blade design? Jim