HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/37599-what-odds-spitfire-bh-not-opening.html)

Bow_Nut 09-16-2003 08:16 PM

what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening

on impact, looked at their blade locking system, it didn' t look like fast opening mechanical, otherwise appeared like solid, well tought design with very sharp blades and 1 1/2" cutting diameter..

Matt / PA 09-16-2003 09:08 PM

RE: what are the odds of spitfire bh not opening

Bow-Nut,
My experience with the Spitfires is this........they always open up SOMEWHERE and do the job. I have seen " Bullet Hole" style entrances and almost full width as well so the entrance hole seems to be hit or miss.
They are pretty slow opening up, and seem the majority of the time to not fully open until inside. They are sharp, and tough, but that slow opening and the chance for a high small entrance spooks me away from them.

I want NAP to come out with a 1 3/4" version of their Scorpion........THAT' S the head I would love to see.:)

Ken/WV 09-16-2003 09:13 PM

I definetly like the appearence of the Scorpion, but I shoot the Shockwaves.

I will probaly try the Scorpion' s later this season.

3DTHUNDER 09-17-2003 03:03 AM

The Scorpions are awesome and they penetrate well I hear

ChiefHeadhunter 09-17-2003 07:38 AM

Open and close them a few times and they are a bit smoother. It should make you feel better about them as well.;)

-Chief

JZarr 09-17-2003 08:07 AM

To me, even the most remote chance of them not opening is still too much of a chance for me. Why bother risking it? My Zwickey has never failed to open, and never will. :D

2droptine 09-17-2003 01:44 PM

In most cases all of these rumors of mechs not opening are exuses for bad shot placement.

JZarr 09-17-2003 02:26 PM

Once again " in most cases" still leaves that margin - no matter how miniscule it is - that the head isn' t going to perform properly. In my book, it' s still not worth it.

But to each their own I guess.

NorthJeff 09-17-2003 03:12 PM

It' s a trade off....

Big, fixed blade head mounted on a slow moving aluminum with chance for tuning changes in the bow resulting in changes in point of impact as well as smaller margin for error in range estimation.

or,

smaller, carbon arrow, mechanical head design flying just like field points with little tuning effort, greater speed for larger range estimation flexibility and little to no chance of change in tuning effecting arrow flight or plaining characteristics.

Bottom line, if for some strange reason they don' t open, which is probably just as likely as your bow coming out of tune and your fixed blade flying off target, your deer will be just as dead as if the blade opened.

For the average guy, using mechanicals is a whole lot easier than using fixed blades and 99% of the reports of lost deer are probably just bad shots and a lack of tracking skill.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Mike from Texas 09-17-2003 03:30 PM

I' ve been shooting Spitfires for 4 years without one single opening failure. As a matter of fact, people that I hunt with that do not use mechanicals are amazed at the devastation. Blood trails have always been massive and short. Only problem I can see is that on hits that have contacted bone, it usually ends up ruining the ferrule where the blades won' t close again.