HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mechanicals or Fixed Blade
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Matt / PA
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Just kidding!.........(sort of.)

This has been a widely debated topic since I started coming to this site ages ago.
There are soooooooo many factors to consider when trying to determine what might actually BE best for a given person that you can' t simply put it in Black and White terms in the fashion you stated.

Here' s just a sampling of the information needed to make a TRUE informed decision on broadhead choice.
Kinetic Energy/Speed and Momentum levels. (Arrow weight and speed)
Cutting Diameter
Number of Blades
Style of tip
If its a mechanical how does it open?
Game being hunted.
Bow tune
Arrow tune
Fletching style
Head durability
Etc. etc.

I can' t say what I feel is best for you and your set-up because I know NOTHING about it.

For me PERSONALLY and MY set-up hunting deer? I feel Mechs and larger cutting diameter mechs work best. My reasoning. I have Kinetic energy to spare to get these heads to work properly, and I like overkill and the ability to simply damage more tissue than a modest cutting diameter head.
If I was planning to use a broadhead of 1" or 1 1/4" in diameter I would just shoot regular fixed blade broadheads.

What' s right for me and my set-up might be the exact opposite for you or the next guy.

I' m assuming you would have enough energy and good bow and arrow tuning before we even get started with the question, so right there Muzzy' s would be my choice for you. If you wish to discuss Mechs and their applications we need more info about your set-up