Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
getting started? >

getting started?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting started?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Spike

Default getting started?

hey guys right now im deciding on either getting a new rifle or getting into bow hunting. been thinking about this for awhile and really love the though of bow hunting ive shot plenty of bows but have never hunted with them so im kind of wondering where to start. the only nice bows i have shot are hoyt and PSE the others are just cheap ones.

i know i would just be starting but i want a nice bow that i wont have to upgrade next season unless i want to. ive been looking at the some of the newer bows and they all seem to be relatively even when it comes to the name brands it seems its just a matter a personal preference. if im wrong here please et me know.

i was budgeting around 1200 or so for my new rifle and scope so id be fine with spending around 800ish on a bow setup id really love to get in the sport and have wanted to for awhile now..id even like to turn my turkey hunts into bow hunts.

but any advice on which bow i should go with would be great. i know i will go to my local store soon and i will have to be properly fitted for a bow i just want to know which bows i want to pick up when i go in the local shop. thanks guys.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Round here the bow will extend the season gun will only get me two weeks if I am lucky to draw.
Bow will get me 3 months
Go bow dude!!!
Treebeard
Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Spike

yea im pretty set on bow man.. it will be something new and open up more time in the woods for me then just getting something i basically already have.

now comes the tough choice on what bow to get! man i didn't think it would be a hard choice but it is!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Spike

Deff go with the bow. Anyone can shoot a rifle. Bow hunting takes more practice and patience and overall desire to kill. I shoot Hoyt bows but asking what brand you should buy will spark a heated debate among many. The best thing you can do is go to a good reputable archery shop and try many different brands of bows in the shops range and choose the one that's the most comfortable for you. I personally shoot a Hoyt Rampage XT. It's not priced crazy high like many other bows but has the same limbs and cams as Hoyt's top of the line bow just the riser is different and a little bit heavier but no big deal to me. You don't have to spend $1000 on a new bow. Spending $600 will get you the same results.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

I pretty much just bowhunt now. I still will go during rifle season but look forward to late bow season. I even got my father in law into bowhunting (crossbow for HIM) and this year we took a week off for bow season instead of gun. You will love it too. Bow season is also 6 times longer in most States. You should be able to find a top tier rig for the amount you have allocated. Go to a proshop that has multiple brands and models of bows and shoot whatever rig tickles your fancy. Don't get stuck on brand names. As you said, most bow companies products are pretty much on par with each other and the modern compound is more accurate than the shooter is capable. Hope that helps and welcome to the ranks of bowhunters!