Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Button Bucks?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Button Bucks?

Went out tonight and passed on a button buck at 8 yds . Do you guys generally do this aswell? I figured it would be a good thing to in that area since it was bow only, my gun woods the other hunters would have killed him. I snort wheezed him and he almost fell over sideways he was so startled by it lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Well he is this years fawn. Almost deer version of veal. If thats what you want, around 25 lbs of meat thats o.k. with me. (Butchered one once a guy arrowed,18 lbs). Paralyzed buddy killed one and i,m happy for him.
Next year he,d have his first rack. If good things going for him 6 pts plus. still not a wise deer and vulnerable. If his mother still alive and he showed interest in breeding he would get run off and be more vulnerable in a new area. Catching on the following year,but the one after would be showing his potential. Another year or two a challenge to hunt. If leaving deer for future an option he,d be one to keep. Your call.

Last edited by monoped; 11-13-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Spike

Depends upon your county's over or under abundance of deer. In Westchester NY they need us to kill everything there is about 70 deer per square mile a healthy herd is 14
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunt harded
Depends upon your county's over or under abundance of deer. In Westchester NY they need us to kill everything there is about 70 deer per square mile a healthy herd is 14
Wish we had that problem... I don't see much around me at all.. All the ones that use to hang out in my back yard are all gone now.. Don't know if its the rut that has them not around or what.. Lots of deer getting hit on the road now, but I'm just not seeing them when I'm hunting... I think they have gone to only moving at night..