Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Three weeks since deer season opened. Still bone dry. >

Three weeks since deer season opened. Still bone dry.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Three weeks since deer season opened. Still bone dry.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Been slow here on Long Island. Too warm and the few days cool been blowing like SOB or raining. been out each wkend. best so far was past sunday small spike passed by and 2 does. One mature and one 1yr old. hoping it cools off soon in a possitive way. but lost my good farm to a deer fence.. so only got small spots on nursery and a friends back yard with a NICE 8pnt I am working on hope the action picks up for everyone soon as watching squirels is gettin me sleepy...
Old 10-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Make sure the wind is in your favor. Sent control clothing helps but does not eliminate your sent completely. As mentioned above don't grunt too much especially before the rut, which usually kicks in around the first of November. I would take the suggestion of not grunting unless you see something. Once you make a call they usually come in slow, try to get down wind and are actively looking for the deer making the calls. Make sure you are keeping your movements to a minimum. As mentioned you likely have been busted calling already and never saw the deer. During the rut a buck may come in quick with its guard down, but usually not in October. Not sure if you are looking for a buck only or either sex. But sometimes does will avoid grunt calls, as not to be harassed by horny bucks. Of course the bucks want to be around the does when the rut rolls around, so you don’t want them avoiding the area your hunting. If you have been hunting the same spot move to a new one. Even if it only a couple hundred yards away (preferably more). Your goal is to figure out were they are bedding during the day and were they are feeding (oak flats, fields…). Then you can try to ambush them traveling to or feed their way between these areas. Make sure you can get in there with out spooking the deer with the wind in your favor. Hunting different areas also keeps things from getting boring and increases your learning curve. If you are seeing deer droppings, fresh tracks, rubs or scrapes then the deer are using the area be patient. Most importantly go out and enjoy being in nature. The deer usually show up when you least expect it.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Ive killed four. Seen deer almost everytime out. I have changed uo and started hunting spots in the past that I wouldnt even look at.