Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Attn: Lonewolf Climber owners... need your input >

Attn: Lonewolf Climber owners... need your input

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attn: Lonewolf Climber owners... need your input

Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Attn: Lonewolf Climber owners... need your input

Who has a Lonewolf climbing stand and finds it difficult to climb trees where the base is much bigger than it is 20ft up where you want to be? In other words, you have to position the bottom platform at such a steep angle just so it will level out correctly once you reach 20ft elevation. This of course makes it very difficult to ascend and especially descend because of the wedging affect of the stand.

Please chime in if you've experienced this.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

I simply adjust as I go up the tree. Usually only have to do it once too. I bend my torso on the seat, use one leg backwards to tilt up the platform and reach down to unlock, pull strap in and reclose. It's so easy to use and this is pretty fast and easy for hey way I do it. I am 6'3" 235 lb and can do this so most others should be able to as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing with repositioning the belt as you go up is it poses a fall risk.

The reason why i posted this is because i have created a modification or revision to the Lonewolf Climbers that eliminate this wedging and pinching affect. I tried it out yesterday and it is silky smooth as butter compared to the way it was before even positioned at the steepest angle possible.

If i can collect enough complaints or "signatures" by analogy, i want to propose my revision to Lonewolf. I've owned some off brand climbers as well as a couple Summits, and Lonewolf is by far my favorite, mostly because it folds so flat. I also modified my stand so it can climb trees as small as 4 inches diameter, not that that's recommended. But, I'm stoked about all the killer spots that my Lonewolf wasnt able to climb the tree i wanted.

Anyone else ever experience this pinching/wedging?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by golfpro261
I simply adjust as I go up the tree. Usually only have to do it once too. I bend my torso on the seat, use one leg backwards to tilt up the platform and reach down to unlock, pull strap in and reclose. It's so easy to use and this is pretty fast and easy for hey way I do it. I am 6'3" 235 lb and can do this so most others should be able to as well.
This describes the process perfectly! I've been using my LW sit and climb for 12 years without any kind of problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the whole thing with the modification is so you dont have to reposition part way up the tree. As carefully as anyone might be, i still find that risky. With my modified LW i start off at a steep enough angle and it levels out at 20ft. It's also so easy to climb now versus before. I'm tellin you guys who own LW, if your stand was modified like mine and no longer had to deal with the wedging affect or repositioning your platform, you would fall in love with the LW all over again.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hoytail Hunter
...you would fall in love with the LW all over again.
I never fell out of love with my LW! lol That re-positioning on the way up comes second nature after using one long enough.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Update:

I was able to generate enough interest and collect a few valid complaints about LW on other forums that i will propose my modification it to LW. If and when they turn me down i will share it with everyone. I'll keep u guys posted.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Just what is needed

More modifications; higher costs for modifications; higher end cost for tree stand users.

One upon a time, some trees were unclimbable.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not necessarily true in this case. My mod replaces a few of their parts. Weight stays about the same. Cost of production would actually go down by 5-8% (just a guess) resulting in more and better for less. I hope LW is receptive to product evolution and enhancement.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have had that proplem afew times. I thought about adj belt half way up,but never did it before and had a vison of me danglin from the seat.... with out a platform..